Inherited property

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inherited property

The father of my client died last year. He had 8 children. His home was valued at $175,000 on the date of his death.
    Daughter A bought the house for $70,000. She gave each of her siblings a check for $10,000. She also paid several thousand dollars on attorney's fees and title work, etc.The house needed much work done to it, but it sits on a couple of acres on a private lake.
    Each of the siblings got a 1099S for $10,000.

One of the siblings wants me to do her tax return. 2 of the other siblings have already had their tax returns prepared and their tax person took a loss on the sale of the property.

I asked on another board and was told that since it was sold to a related party the loss is not allowed, but some have already taken the loss.

So which way is correct?

Thanks, Linda

No loss deduction

The loss is not currently deductible for the reason you cited ... sold to a related party. (Code §267(a), §267(b)(1), and §267(c)(4))

Speculation: The other preparer probably showed the loss as deductible simply because he doesn't know the law.
    Roland Slugg
    "I do what I can."

Comment

Thanks

Thanks Roland for the reference. I will print it off and send it to her with her tax return.

Maybe I'll get some other business from this, just because I did the research and did an accurate return.

Linda F

Comment

Working...
      X