Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ach

Thanks Valerie,

Gives me a little insight, so I will investigate more after tax season. Not sure I have enough volume to warrant the cost, unless of course I can off to the clients.

Sandy

Comment

I do not have the same problem

Originally posted by Valarie View Post
      The problem I usually have in doing that, is the check is made payable to "My Company Name" and "his bank" can't cash that check as I don't have a business account there...

Sometimes banks will convert the check to a bank check - good as cash - that you can take to your bank and deposit, but many banks won't even do that...

If the client check is payable to an individual, then you're method will work...

Valarie
      The company name is my name...It is easier that way for me, none of that ficticious name stuff etc..Lets hope that she gets her $$$'s...

Comment

Originally posted by snowbird View Post
        I am confused, he gave you a hot check and direct deposited the refund. I assume the check routing and account number for the direct deposit was the same as on the hot check? If so, you can call the bank to see what can be done when the deposit is made ... or estimate when the deposit will be done by the IRS (8-15days) and re-try the check at the bank.
        Yes I checked the bank but that account # was closed. They had already gotten their refund. I don't have time to go to the bank for a deposit for that week it may take weeks, so he had plenty of time to do what he had to do.

Don't know if he moved or just changed banks. My husband and I checked everything but to know where he is. Don't have time to investigate so just learn from that and him. Just wasted time and hard work for nothing.
        SueBaby

Comment

Originally posted by SueBaby View Post
          Yes I checked the bank but that account # was closed. They had already gotten their refund. I don't have time to go to the bank for a deposit for that week it may take weeks, so he had plenty of time to do what he had to do.

Don't know if he moved or just changed banks. My husband and I checked everything but to know where he is. Don't have time to investigate so just learn from that and him. Just wasted time and hard work for nothing.
          I'm thinking several steps ahead on this, but how's this sound for a real long shot? Sounds like this has been bugging you and hubbie.

Does this client qualify for a stimulus payment? And did you check third party designation on tax return?

If yes to both: The stimulus payment by direct deposit will be returned to IRS since the bank account is closed. The check that IRS will then send instead may be returned to IRS if the address on the tax return is no good, unless taxpayer changed address with IRS. If you have authority, maybe you could call IRS later in the season and somehow get current address????

Comment

Originally posted by BP. View Post
            I'm thinking several steps ahead on this, but how's this sound for a real long shot? Sounds like this has been bugging you and hubbie.

Does this client qualify for a stimulus payment? And did you check third party designation on tax return?

If yes to both: The stimulus payment by direct deposit will be returned to IRS since the bank account is closed. The check that IRS will then send instead may be returned to IRS if the address on the tax return is no good, unless taxpayer changed address with IRS. If you have authority, maybe you could call IRS later in the season and somehow get current address????
            No, he did not get the stimulus payment. My husband will track it down after the season. I work 7 days a week and counting til April 16TH. I have got to put him on my back burner until then or I will get madder a day. But thank you.
            SueBaby

Comment

Send him a letter

After things settle down for you, why not just send a nice letter asking him to stop by your office to discuss his return and a possible error? You needn't say the error is his failure to pay you. If you really want to get his attention, suggest that errors can result in audits. If he left a forwarding address, the post office should forward your letter to him.

Comment

Originally posted by Zee View Post
                After things settle down for you, why not just send a nice letter asking him to stop by your office to discuss his return and a possible error? You needn't say the error is his failure to pay you. If you really want to get his attention, suggest that errors can result in audits. If he left a forwarding address, the post office should forward your letter to him.
                Wow, I did not think of that. Hope it works. Thanks!
                SueBaby

Comment

Originally posted by Zee View Post
                  If you really want to get his attention, suggest that errors can result in audits.
                  You would think he wouldn't be so stupid to mess with someone who has his Social Security number. Especially today with identity theft and all.

Comment

Originally posted by Bees Knees View Post
                    You would think he wouldn't be so stupid to mess with someone who has his Social Security number. Especially today with identity theft and all.
                    You would think so since that is the ONLY thing I do have of him.
                    SueBaby

Comment

Notify IRS that you are not the preparer.....

I dont know if this works but a tax preparer friend of mine said she wrote the client a letter stating that unless good payment is made, she will contact the IRS and notify the IRS to remove her from this taxpayers tax return as the tax preparer. She said the taxpayer that stiffed her paid up.

Comment

Originally posted by AZ-Tax View Post
                        I dont know if this works but a tax preparer friend of mine said she wrote the client a letter stating that unless good payment is made, she will contact the IRS and notify the IRS to remove her from this taxpayers tax return as the tax preparer. She said the taxpayer that stiffed her paid up.
                        That sounds great but a bogus address. I even called his work--he no longer works there. It is like he dropped off the earth when he left my office. It makes me think he not only owed me but other people too.
                        SueBaby

Comment

Working...
                        X