Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canadian Spouse

Question about a Canadian spouse.

I have a taxpayer that got married this year. She wanted to file MFS, so I asked for ther spouse's name and SS#. Turns out the spouse doesn't work or live in the USA. How should this return be compelted? Does a Canadian resident have a Social Security number if they haven't lived or worked in the USA. Or, does he need to get a taxpayer ID number?

Thank you in advance for the response.

Since we haven't annexed Canada as a territory of the USA yet, I doubt he qualifies for a SSN so he needs an ITIN.
    "A man that holds a cat by the tail learns something he can learn no other way." - Mark Twain

Comment

I didn't see any

reference to a "he".

Originally posted by taxmandan View Post
      Since we haven't annexed Canada as a territory of the USA yet, I doubt he qualifies for a SSN so he needs an ITIN.

Comment

Veritas

Originally posted by tonia2021 View Post
        Question about a Canadian spouse.

I have a taxpayer that got married this year. She wanted to file MFS, so I asked for ther spouse's name and SS#. Turns out the spouse doesn't work or live in the USA. How should this return be compelted? Does a Canadian resident have a Social Security number if they haven't lived or worked in the USA. Or, does he need to get a taxpayer ID number?

Thank you in advance for the response.
        Look in the last sentence of the first paragraph.

LT
        Only in government or politics is a "cut in spending" really an increase. It's just not as much of an increase as they wanted it to be, therefore a "cut".

Comment

Originally posted by thomtax View Post
          Look in the last sentence of the first paragraph.

LT
          Plus, poster said '..she' and 'her spouse': since the discussion is about Federal Income taxes, her spouse had best be a 'he'.

Comment

You are correct, it is a wife (USA citizen) and her Candaian husband.

I am guessing she can't efile. Is that right?

Comment

No efile this year.

Originally posted by tonia2021 View Post
              You are correct, it is a wife (USA citizen) and her Candaian husband.

I am guessing she can't efile. Is that right?
              If he doesn't have an ITIN yet, the return will need to be mailed with the W-7 and supporting documents attached, to Austin, TX for processing. The ITIN will be assigned and the return then processed by theIRS.
              "A man that holds a cat by the tail learns something he can learn no other way." - Mark Twain

Comment

Consider All the Options and Consequences

A U.S. citizen or resident must file Form 1040; there is no option to file Form 1040NR.

A U.S. citizen or resident may elect to file a joint return with his or her nonresident alien spouse. However, the nonresident alien spouse must, in turn, "elect to be treated as resident," i.e. file Form 1040, and report nonresident's income from worldwide sources.

If the nonresident alien spouse does not elect to be treated as a resident, the U.S. citizen or resident spouse must file using the married filing separately status or, if appropriate, head of household filing status. Under no circumstances may he/she file using the single filing status.

Before making this election, the taxpayers should consider whether doing so is to their best advantage. Some possible considerations are:

How much foreign income the nonresident alien spouse has.

Whether the nonresident alien spouse can claim the foreign earned income credit or a foreign tax credit.

Whether choosing resident status will prevent the nonresident alien from claiming certain treaty benefits. Check the specific treaty for this purpose.

Comment

Working...
                X