Social Security Tax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Social Security Tax

Taxpayer were on workman compensation for 3 months in 2007. But his employer accounting department made a mistake and still paid him while he was not working in those 3 months. He has since then repaid the 3 months salary to his employer. But his employer said they have also paid their share of the FICA (6.2%) and Medicare for him, so they want him to pay back those taxes too. Reasonable? I think not. So what do they have to do in order to get back the excessive FICA and Medicare that the employer has paid for him?

Repayment

Did the employer correct this error in time to issue an accurate Form W-2?

If the wages in question are not reported on Form W-2, then it is utterly ridiculous to suggest that the employee pay back the employer's share of FICA. If the wages are not reported on Form W-2, then the employer presumably never turned those FICA taxes over to the US Treasury.

If the wages are included in Form W-2, the employer may be taking the position that it is too late to correct the error because the books are closed for 2007. They may be treating it as a repayment of wages from a prior year.

And that's a whole different ball of wax.

With that said, it feels like they should still be able to file an amended Form 940.

Or whatever that form is. Geez, I haven't done a payroll tax return in years. I'm not really qualified to answer this question. LMAO

Burton
    Burton M. Koss
    koss@usakoss.net

Comment

Working...
    X