would you still claim as dependent?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

would you still claim as dependent?

I've had 2 similar situations come up the past couple of days.

#1: Mom and 21 year old daughter live together (full year). Mom makes about $95K per year. Mom pays for the house they live in (and all bills according to), groceries and daughter's car insurance. She also is paying for the daughter's college tuition. Daughter is full time student and earns $18K from 2 jobs. Mom files HOH, claims daughter and deducts school tuition paid (when it's not disallowed from her high income).

#2: Mom & Dad and 21 year old daughter live together (full year). Mom and dad make about $100K. Parents pay for house they live in (bills), groceries and daughter's schooling. They file MFJ. Daughter is full time student and earns nearly $24K from one job during the year. Mom and dad claim daughter and deduct school tuition paid (when allowed).

See any problems here? Both scenario's are full time MN residents.

TTB p. 3-15, QC #7- You'll have to determine if the potential dependents provide more than half their own support. If not, parents are OK to claim kids as dependents.

Comment

Bp

In both situations, the parents state they provide clearly over 1/2 the support. I also have the 2 daughter's taxes here to file as well and neither daughter is disputing being claimed. Seems to me that there should be no reason why I can't go ahead with their filing statuses.

Comment

Yes, I agree

with the posts. Determine support level, then take them as dependents.

Comment

Working...
        X