Charity Rides/Poker Runs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charity Rides/Poker Runs

Had a client ask this last night and I had never thought of it. Would the miles that you put on your motorcylce during a charity ride/poker run that benefits a bonified charity be considered charity miles?

With a letter from the charity detailing that the client participated and a detailed accounting of the miles I think you could make a case for charitible mileage deduction.

Comment

The part about poker run

spooks me just a little. If the rider is getting more out of it than the fun of riding his bike and the warm feeling of knowing he is helping a charity, then I would say no deduction. For example, if he gets a chance at winning a prize of any serious economic value, I would say no deduction.

Comment

Motorcycles aren't Autos

I believe the standard mileage deduction is only available for passenger automobiles, trucks, etc., and motorcycles would be limited to actual.

Comment

Originally posted by Zee View Post
          I believe the standard mileage deduction is only available for passenger automobiles, trucks, etc., and motorcycles would be limited to actual.
          I have one that belongs to Motorcycle Christian Association and can't I use his miles? They deliever toys to needed kids and deliever meals on wheels and goes preaching to other churches on their motorcycles. That would be charity wouldn't it?
          SueBaby

Comment

Originally posted by SueBaby View Post
            I have one that belongs to Motorcycle Christian Association and can't I use his miles? They deliever toys to needed kids and deliever meals on wheels and goes preaching to other churches on their motorcycles. That would be charity wouldn't it?
            If he delivers on his motorcycle, my understanding is actual expenses should be used, not standard mileage. Standard mileage applies to autos and other passenger vehicles, not motorcycles.
            Last edited by Zee; 03-05-2008, 06:54 PM. Reason: correction

Comment

If he delivers on his motorcycle, my understanding is actual miles should be used. Standard mileage applies to autos and other passenger vehicles, not motorcycles.
              Thank you for that information. That is what I used.
              SueBaby

Comment

Originally posted by SueBaby View Post
                Thank you for that information. That is what I used.
                Oops! I didn't mean to write "actual miles", rather actual expenses. I hope that's what you used. I'll correct my other post. Sorry!

Comment

Oops! I didn't mean to write "actual miles", rather actual expenses. I hope that's what you used. I'll correct my other post. Sorry!
                  Yes, I knew what you meant. Thank you.
                  SueBaby

Comment

Working...
                  X