NOL carryback election

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NOL carryback election

I am following a CPA's return from last year and there is a large NOL he is carrying forward.

He has prepared a statement each year electing to carry forward the loss.

Is this statement necessary every year???

If so, I will have to do the 8453 and attach it. I thought the statement was only necessary the first year and the following years fell in naturally.

Also, I did not have this information when I filed her 2006 return. She made so little money last year that it does not change her bottom line. If there is no change to her tax/refund, must I still file a 1040X to document the NOL balance?

Thanks,
    ~possi
    "I am proud to pay taxes in the United States. The only thing is I could be just as proud for half the money." Arthur Godfrey

I am not an NOL expert. But my understanding was if you did not elect to carryforward each year, you are stuck carrying it back two years. So I make the election each year.

Comment

It's straight forward..

it's a one time election in the year the NOL is incurred. Thereafter, no further election statement is required unless an additional NOL is created in a subsequent year.

Comment

that's what I thought....

... but judging from my questions, what do I know?
        *smile*
        thanks!~
        "I am proud to pay taxes in the United States. The only thing is I could be just as proud for half the money." Arthur Godfrey

Comment

Working...
        X