inexcrupulous logic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

inexcrupulous logic

Burton, all these theories start with the idea that a Qualifying Child is one kind of dependent because it's described in the code section that deals with dependents. I don't read it that way and according to their publications, neither does the IRS. Even if I did agree that any Qualifying Child is a dependent by definition or that any dependent (other than a QR) is a Qualifying Child by definition or that only a dependent can be a Qualifying Child by definition, that wouldn't help fill in the tax return. The real question is, can you claim an exemption?

In the good old days, you could have a child that you supported but still not be able to claim an exemption due to other factors not related to the child, such as being a dependent yourself. We still have those old rules, now called Qualifying Relative.

We have the same issue with a qualifying child. The term describes a person who fulfills four specific criteria. It doesn't necessarily mean you can claim an exemption if there are other factors not related to the child, such as being a dependent yourself. If you don't meet additional requirements not related to the child, that doesn't change the four criteria that comprise the whole definition of Qualifying Child. If a person has the four criteria, that person is a Qualifying Child. Period. Whether any particular taxpayer can take advantage of that depends on other facts and circumstances.

Although I didn't agree with you, I thought you had a stronger argument saying someone who doesn't pay taxes isn't a taxpayer. Such is my inexcrupulous logic.

Does anyone else miss Jainen?

I just saw this character on an ATX website; he was a hoot!
    Circular 230 Disclosure:

Don't even think about using the information in this message!

Comment

Not one

Originally posted by DaveinTexas View Post
      I just saw this character on an ATX website; he was a hoot!
      wit.

However I do miss Oldjack.

Comment

Nope, not a bit

There were some redeeming elements in his psyche, and it doesn't surprise me he is making waves on other message boards.

He "made waves" here, too. But I do not for a minute miss his demeaning countenance, his attacks on other board members, and his seemingly deliberate wrong answers to questions so he could sit back and laugh about it. If it was his objective to become the central figure in controversy or debasement of character, he accomplished it.

Comment

Between the two,

However I do miss Oldjack
          I'm with Veritas. OldJack is the one I do miss.

Comment

I don’t miss him. While he was knowledgeable enough about tax policy he displayed serious gaps in the area of constitutional law and the principles of a republican form of government. His deeply personal assaults on other board members endeared him to me least of all. The Tax Book board is a bit of an oasis in the mean spirited ocean of internet blogs and message boards, kudos to the moderators, for maintaining this sliver of civility. This is one of the few places I visit and post with any degree of regularity. Un-moderated boards are quickly taken over by a few bullies, often of Jainen’s political bent, who stand ready to shout down any opposing viewpoint.

I enjoy a good political (or otherwise) debate as much as anybody but I try to reserve my wrath for those truly deserving and not for the merely curious, incautious, or less informed.
            In other words, a democratic government is the only one in which those who vote for a tax can escape the obligation to pay it.
            Alexis de Tocqueville

Comment

I did enjoy his sarcasm and constant jabs to stir emotion

Originally posted by DaveO View Post
              I don’t miss him. While he was knowledgeable enough about tax policy he displayed serious gaps in the area of constitutional law and the principles of a republican form of government. His deeply personal assaults on other board members endeared him to me least of all. The Tax Book board is a bit of an oasis in the mean spirited ocean of internet blogs and message boards, kudos to the moderators, for maintaining this sliver of civility. This is one of the few places I visit and post with any degree of regularity. Un-moderated boards are quickly taken over by a few bullies, often of Jainen’s political bent, who stand ready to shout down any opposing viewpoint.

I enjoy a good political (or otherwise) debate as much as anybody but I try to reserve my wrath for those truly deserving and not for the merely curious, incautious, or less informed.
              He reminded me a lot of my Dad; all sarcasm and not afraid to put you down for a laugh. That's kind of weird I guess! Sorry to poke old wounds; it is a much friendlier place around here these days. I appreciate all of the good information on this board and the hard work that is put into the answers; keep up the great work all! This is what the world is about; helping others in need.
              Circular 230 Disclosure:

Comment

Whew, thought he was back

Originally posted by DaveO View Post
                I don’t miss him...This is one of the few places I visit and post with any degree of regularity. Un-moderated boards are quickly taken over by a few bullies, often of Jainen’s political bent, who stand ready to shout down any opposing viewpoint.
                You nailed it. Actually, I think he stood ready to shout down any viewpoint. Opposing or otherwise.
                If you loan someone $20 and never see them again, it was probably worth it.

Comment

Great quote!

Originally posted by RitaB View Post
                  You nailed it. Actually, I think he stood ready to shout down any viewpoint. Opposing or otherwise.
                  Yeah, sorry to resurrect the dead! I did a search for a certain topic and his comment was the only one that came up; I'll leave it alone next time!
                  Circular 230 Disclosure:

Comment

Don't sweat it

Originally posted by DaveinTexas View Post
                    Yeah, sorry to resurrect the dead! I did a search for a certain topic and his comment was the only one that came up; I'll leave it alone next time!
                    Don't apologize. We all love each other here. Now.

Comment

Both jainen and Old Jack are active over on the Unofficial ATX forum. They both like to stir the pot every now & thenk but for some reason things are generally taken less personally over there (with a couple of notable exceptions). I've never fully understood the animosity they sometimes seem to generate, but maybe that's just because my tendency is to step back when it begins to get personal. A thick skin helps keep the blood pressure down. I look for both of their responses when an important issue arises, and I usually agree with what they say or else I learn something from their posts. Sometimes I'm not sure why that forum is so calm, especially since the users support it and we more or less self-moderate. In any event, that forum is my second-best favorite (after this one, of course).
                      "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Nah

Originally posted by JohnH View Post
                        I've never fully understood the animosity they sometimes seem to generate...
                        No animosity here. I was just afraid of him. OMG, he's standing right behind me, isn't he?

Comment

I gather these characters were before my time, and I'm not at all sure who's responsible for this thread's title. But I have a hard time not laughing at the juxtaposition of "inexcrupulous" and "logic."

Comment

You could visit the Unofficial ATX Forum and see for yourself.
                            You don't have to be an ATX user to participate.

"The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Originally posted by RitaB View Post
                              No animosity here. I was just afraid of him. OMG, he's standing right behind me, isn't he?
                              Ah, RitaB, I sometimes wish this Forum were more like FaceBook so that I could "like" your comments. And only one person scares me more than Jainen -- and that is Bob Kammen - remember him??

Maribeth

Comment

Working...
                              X