Louisiana Preparers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Louisiana Preparers?

Client is military, currently stationed and living on base at Ft Polk with wife & 2 kids. Does he have to file a LA tax return? TTB only says "maintains an abode" in LA. Website says "who maintains a home" in the state.
    No withholding in LA, W-2 still shows AK.
    Last edited by Burke; 03-01-2008, 04:57 PM.

Burke - I'm not in LA, and I think that there are only a couple of LA preparers that check into the board, so it may be hard to get the answer.

Approaching it from a different angle, several years ago I worked with a firm that was in a town next to a military base, since deactivated. At that time, if I remember correctly, an individual designates his home state with the military. Then everything about his military pay was handled as if he were actually in that home state. The problem arose when the wife worked and drew wages in the state where he was stationed.

I met a LA preparer at the LSEA update school in Shreveport, LA last fall. She told me if I ever had a question about LA to contact her and she would try to help. I will watch the board and if you do not get an answer by Monday, will try to call her and find out the answer, if that will not be too late.

LT
    Only in government or politics is a "cut in spending" really an increase. It's just not as much of an increase as they wanted it to be, therefore a "cut".

Comment

Found this

Comment

Originally posted by Burke View Post
        Client is military, currently stationed and living on base at Ft Polk with wife & 2 kids. Does he have to file a LA tax return? TTB only says "maintains an abode" in LA. Website says "who maintains a home" in the state.
        No withholding in LA, W-2 still shows AK.
        Does he live in AK? Or just his main office is stationed there?

Everywhat is on that W2 state (AK) will be filed as that state. No La on that W2 is No La state taxes unless his wife worked here and has a W2 with La on the W2 then you will have to have a La state return.

I have foreign returns that live in Pa stationed in Ca and works in Japan. The Pa state has to go with taxes for him. He lives there and pay taxes there although he is not there most of the year. Hope I have helped a little.
        SueBaby

Comment

Thanks for the link. The only income is military pay, wife does not work, so I guess we are okay. Part of wages is combat pay as he was deployed to Iraq for some of that time. He did not live in LA to start with, only transferred there by the Army, and has been on base since then, except for stints overseas.

Comment

Working...
          X