Stimulus Rebate with a Twist!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stimulus Rebate with a Twist!

I have an elderly couple that I prepared taxes for until they no longer needed to file. To get the rebate--they must file a "stimulus return". Got that. He died in October, now what?

Please don't beat up on me. I have read everything I could find on the rebate but no where have I found anything about death in 2007. Of course, I know he can't sign the return. Can she, or does his death make it a moot point. If there's more that I need to read, please provide the link. I may be the only one asking now, but I bet, someone else will be helped by this question and your answer (s).

Suggestions please.

Thanks.

Peachie.

This is what I found on the IRS website. Doesn't help much.

Q. If an individual dies, what happens to his or her direct deposit or stimulus check?

A. Stimulus payments will be issued in the name of the individual eligible for payment on a filed 2007 income tax return or to the account designated by the individual on that return. Any issues or concerns involving a decedent's filed return or the related stimulus payment should be addressed by the legal representative of the decedent's estate. [New 2/27/08]

Comment

File it with her filing as surviving spouse

I don't know if she could get his share, but I would file it just as if they had income other than Social security and let the chips fall where they will.

Comment

Thank you

Both responses are good ones. I think I will try the surviving spouse route and see what happens.

Peachie

Comment

Take the approach if they had been required to file an return, it would have been a MFJ, file this the same way.

Comment

See nearby thread entitled

Originally posted by Peachie View Post
            I have an elderly couple that I prepared taxes for until they no longer needed to file. To get the rebate--they must file a "stimulus return". Got that. He died in October, now what?

Please don't beat up on me. I have read everything I could find on the rebate but no where have I found anything about death in 2007. Of course, I know he can't sign the return. Can she, or does his death make it a moot point. If there's more that I need to read, please provide the link. I may be the only one asking now, but I bet, someone else will be helped by this question and your answer (s).

Suggestions please.

Thanks.

Peachie.
            "Rebates for deceased taxpayer"

Comment

Working...
            X