Old Folks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old Folks

I have alot of calls of elderly people just on SS are they getting the rebate? They don't file out taxes but want to know. Anyone?
    SueBaby

If they have $3000 or more

in social security they will.

Comment

A person with Social Security and

not enough else to have a filing requirement will get $300 in stimulus money. I do not know whether they are required to file for 07 in order to get it but it seems obvious that if they file they may get it sooner than if they don't. Since the stimulus is an advance payment of a credit for 08 they will need to file for 08 as well to be sure there is not additional money due them. They could just wait for 08 and get their money all at once.

I personally am doing these old folks for $25, which is the same as I would charge for a return for a dependent of a client when thee dependent has only job and interest or dividend income.

Comment

Here is the letter going out next week

Comment

Originally posted by erchess View Post
          not enough else to have a filing requirement will get $300 in stimulus money. I do not know whether they are required to file for 07 in order to get it but it seems obvious that if they file they may get it sooner than if they don't. Since the stimulus is an advance payment of a credit for 08 they will need to file for 08 as well to be sure there is not additional money due them. They could just wait for 08 and get their money all at once.
          They definitely have to file a 2007 return to get the rebate this year. It is not really an advance payment of a credit for 08. It is a rebate of 2007 taxes. However, in this case they still get it even though they don't have any tax liability.

Comment

Originally posted by Burke View Post
            They definitely have to file a 2007 return to get the rebate this year. It is not really an advance payment of a credit for 08. It is a rebate of 2007 taxes. However, in this case they still get it even though they don't have any tax liability.
            If they just have SS they still have to file this year and to be transmitted?
            SueBaby

Comment

Primary Forum for posting questions regarding tax issues. Message Board participants can then respond to your questions. You can also respond to questions posted by others. Please use the Contact Us link above for customer support questions.

See that post. If someone with social security doesn't file in 2007 can they still file in 2008 and get the credit?

Comment

SUEBABY, you can find all you want to know at IRS.GOV. They have an excellent section on this program. Also IRS yesterday released information that they will send in March a letter to all who filed a 2006 return about the program and will be working with SSA and VA to send out information to those they think don't file returns any more to get the word out. My papers (Tampa Bay area) picked up this AM on the recent IRS release.

Comment

non-filers

I am taking care of them free of charge. It is a way to give something back to the community and it is building goodwill for my business.

These people have kids and friends that have to file returns. I believe that what you give will be returned to you over and over again. If I do not get anything financially out of helping out some poor elderly couples I will get more out knowing that I could take 15 minutes out of a day and make someone happy.
                  I would put a favorite quote in here, but it would get me banned from the board.

Comment

I agree

Originally posted by Matt Sova View Post
                    I am taking care of them free of charge. It is a way to give something back to the community and it is building goodwill for my business.

These people have kids and friends that have to file returns. I believe that what you give will be returned to you over and over again. If I do not get anything financially out of helping out some poor elderly couples I will get more out knowing that I could take 15 minutes out of a day and make someone happy.

This has been my thinking all along. I haven't had that many calls about his subject and have been reading the posts of everyone not wanting to even do the returns and then the fees to be charged. A small fee is probably reasonable, but I feel like I would rather just help out these folks. Most can't afford to pay much and it would be for relatives of my clients mostly which promots good will and gains more referrals. I have been telling clients to let their elderly relatives know they need to file to get the rebate. I go to the library once a week and answer questions for anyone who wants to come by so I told the librarian to let the elderly know I could fill out their return while I am there if they want to come by. This is all a free service. I spend a lot of time going the extra mile and it has been paying off with the referrals I have been getting.

Bonnie

Comment

Originally posted by Bonnie View Post
                      This has been my thinking all along. I haven't had that many calls about his subject and have been reading the posts of everyone not wanting to even do the returns and then the fees to be charged. A small fee is probably reasonable, but I feel like I would rather just help out these folks. Most can't afford to pay much and it would be for relatives of my clients mostly which promots good will and gains more referrals. I have been telling clients to let their elderly relatives know they need to file to get the rebate. I go to the library once a week and answer questions for anyone who wants to come by so I told the librarian to let the elderly know I could fill out their return while I am there if they want to come by. This is all a free service. I spend a lot of time going the extra mile and it has been paying off with the referrals I have been getting.

Bonnie
                      Thanks to ALL about this which I could not have the time to investigate. But can you just transmit it or have to mail it?
                      And NO I wasn't going to charge either. I have had a few that are down on their luck and I know their finances and I did not charge. It is usually the elderly or blacks. Thank goodness they are all nice. It makes up for the ugly ones that get mad and don't appreciate me working on their taxes.
                      SueBaby

Comment

Working...
                      X