Another tax rebate question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another tax rebate question

From what I read, if the income of a married couple exceeds $150,000. their rebate will be reduced by 5% of the excessive amount. So do they reduce 5% from each of their $600 rebate?

For example, suppose the total income of a marred couple is $160,000. 5% of the excessive amount is $500. Do they reduce $500 from the $600 rebate of the husband and then another $500 from the $600 of the wife? Or they just reduce $500 from the combined $1,200 of the married couple?

The married

couple's AGI of $160k rebate is $1200 less the reduced amount of $500 (the amount of AGI over $150k x 5%) which equals $700.
    This is the way I would calculate it. (and right I hope).

Comment

Originally posted by Larry M View Post
      couple's AGI of $160k rebate is $1200 less the reduced amount of $500 (the amount of AGI over $150k x 5%) which equals $700.
      This is the way I would calculate it. (and right I hope).
      Thank you Larry...but you don't seem to be that affirmative...

Can someone confirm that they will only reduce $500 from the married couple as a whole? I need to give an answer to someone this afternoon and I don't want to be wrong... <worrisome face>

By the way, why can't I insert an icon? <confusing face>

Comment

Larry is right (as usual)

Here's your answer from the IRS web site.
        Scroll down the the area under "Phase Out"
        There's an example that approximates your scenario.

You probably need to change something under your user profile to allow you to make icons...
        "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Working...
        X