Tuition and fees deduction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tuition and fees deduction

Taxpayer supports girlfriend and their daughter. Girlfriend is going to school and has tuition expenses. Can TP deduct on Form 8917? TP doesn't have enough tax liability to use an education credit. Have the qualifications changed for this deduction and this new form?

If TP doesn't have enough tax to benefit from an education credit how would TP benefit from a tuition and fees deduction?

Comment

It makes a difference on the state return. But for would it be deductible under the circumstances?

Comment

Technically

she and her daughter are not "dependents". And can not be included on his tax return. They fail the "relationship" test.Nor can their expenses be included on the tp's return. Take a look at TTB section 3-15 (I think)

Comment

Why not? Daughter is his daughter. Girlfriend lived with him all year and only made $800. He has a good job and pays all household expenses. GF would be qualifying relative. I think she meets all requirements.

Comment

Sorry JenO I missed

the part where it's "his" daughter. But he still can not take his grilfriend's tuition as an expense on his 1040. She has to be kin somewhere down the line. And like David1980 said, if he doesn't have the tax liabilty, then even "if" he could have taken tuition, there is nothing to apply it against. Hope this is clear. Sometimes in haste I forget to put things down correctly.

Comment

Sounds like they'd be his dependents. Check TTB 12-2 for educ benefits. "Eligible student" is defined there as taxpayer, spouse, or "dependent claimed on taxpayer's return." Don't see where kinship is requirement. May be in pub 970.
              Last edited by BP.; 02-29-2008, 02:11 PM.

Comment

BP, you're right

Elgible Student:
                Taxpayer, spouse, or dependent claimed
                on taxpayer’s return:
                • Enrolled in one or more courses at an
                eligible educational institution.
                • Has a high school diploma or GED.

When I said "kin" I used a slang term. I stand to be corrected in-as-much as it should have read taxpayer, spouse or dependent claimed on tp's return.
                Thanks

Comment

Working...
                X