E-file Truncated names yet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E-file Truncated names yet?

Has anyone successfully e-filed a truncated name yet? (ex - Jane L. Doe White) I use lacerte and last year diagnostics still said no can do. This year the message is not coming up. Looked around a little, but just wanted save time if someone else has already had one accepted. Thanks.

Truncating a name is easy. All you really need is a first initial & the first 4 letters of the last name which is the IRS control name .

Comment

Would you show me how you would input this name into the system please? First name and intial is Malinda L. - Last name is House Summers.

Comment

Originally posted by OHTaxLady View Post
        Would you show me how you would input this name into the system please? First name and intial is Malinda L. - Last name is House Summers.
        Why worry about the L?

Comment

efiled okay

I efiled a client a couple of weeks ago with the name Jackson Brown and it went through without a hitch.
          If that is how their social security card reads it should go through.
          You put the first name in first name space and in the last name space you put Jackson Brown with no hyphen.

Should be fine.

Linda F

Comment

Assuming returns have been previously efiled under House Summers as the last name, start deleting letters (ie: s,r,e,m etc.) until the software accepts the name. In this situation, if House Summers is the last name, only "Hous" needs to show on the return.

Comment

So yea, if you were really lazy you could put in your birthdays as year only (just make it 1/2/XXXX) as the year is what would matter. Skip the first name (will it reject if the first name is blank? I'm not sure.) and type just four chars on the last one.

Same with employer names on W2, no need to type out "john and jack and jill and their associates" when "john" is all the IRS looks at (first 4 chars!)

Not that I'd suggest anyone do that, but just saying... if that last name that's 57 characters long gets cut off, aside from a taxpayer offended by the IRS that they don't accommodate his culture everything is just dandy.

Comment

The diagnostic did appear after I validated the return, and to get it to clear, I had to eliminate husbands middle initial, use wifes first name initial only, no middle initial and both last names. Thanks everyone for your help.

Comment

Working...
                X