I have a problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great ideas

Thank you all for some excellent ideas. I have managed to pick up a handful of new clients to get my business started. I am going to aggressively pursue new business relationships during the summer and fall months for referrals. I think I'll join the chamber of commerce next week to meet more local business and professional people as well as a local civic group to possibly give some free presentations on specific tax issues. I have very recently become very active in youth sports as a baseball coach I could probably use some of those developing relationships with the parents to drum up new business. I hope you all are having a successful tax season.

Comment

marketing

A couple more suggestions

-- Cable TV with an AD channel.

-- Restaurant(s) nearby with advertising placemats.

-- A sign in the yard - check zoning restrictions.

-- Web site.
      T. R. Miller
      SunTaxMan
      www.SunTaxMan.com

Comment

Try your church, local banks, etc.

The church I belong to sells ads in the back of the church bulletin. First year was good and from there on it just got better. This year I finally got the church clergy as a client with a no fee tax prep. Yellow pages rep came by and I told him I have tried just about ever advertising out there and by far my church ad is most effective for my dollar. Also, advertise on local websites that normally do not charge and last of all, work with your local Banker. If you sell investments in addition to your tax practice, refer the checking acct business to the Bank. I must have gotten 5 referrals from one personal Banker from the Bank I Bank at. I also market auto and homeowners insurance so I offer a discount to my insurance clients. I think the Realtor is a good route but out here where I am at, the Realtors have yet to catch on how resourceful a tax preparer can be. With your credentials, you should have no trouble what so ever.

Good Luck

Comment

Oh well,

The orginal post was in February and today's date being what it is, there's not any time to speak of left; however...since everybody else has put in their two cents worth...I suggest the following for next year:

(1) Rent a flashing sign and put it out front. And I hate to say that 'cause it's soooo garish/corny/gauche/in bad taste, etc., etc. and kinda against every bit of decorum and dignity that we'd like to interject into our profession. Still, you said you were sort of desperate, so it's either your dignity or your dinner. I did this 20 years ago and snagged about $10,000 worth of passers-by the first year. For a quick and dirty strategy, it's worth a shot (you can give it up when you've accumulated enough dough to become "dignified").

(2) Another guy in your position once mentioned here that he simply took off walking and knocked on the front door of every single house with a ten-block radius, handed them his card, and asked for their business (people love to be asked -- for or about anything). He said he got quite a few clients out of it. I'm long past that stage, but it sure sounded like a good idea and I'd try it if I was just starting out.

Get a few clients, do a good job for them, and word-of-mouth referral (far and away the best advertising) will carry you the rest of the way.

Comment

Originally posted by gts1330 View Post
            Maybe I'll stalk the local H&R Block/Jackson Hewitt shops and hand out my business and introduce myself before the client goes in...LOL
            May not be that bad of an idea. A couple years ago I saw this post on the ATX bulletin board:

"All is fair in love and war. I passed by a Hewitt booth this year in the local Wally World. This was on April 14th and there were at least 50 people in line who had been waiting 2 hours. I handed out about 15 of my business cards and said no waiting lines at my house and walked away. Picked up about ten clients that evening and next day. Hewitt never said a word or called."
            "Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society." ~ Mark Skousen

Comment

I have got alot of business from my yard sign. Has Tax Preparation on one side Free Efile* on the other. People call saying they see my sign when they have drove by.

I am going to say this again I made a huge mistake with Yellow Pages Online this year. Paying out the yahooo and have not got a bit of business from it. I also have not got anyone from the regular phonebook yellow pages. I usually get 4 a year from it. This past year they combined 3 or 4 cities together. I think this has affected advertising with them. Oh well I'll just make the ad smaller.

Comment

But, but...now look here, Anniecrisco,

Originally posted by Anarchrist View Post
                May not be that bad of an idea. A couple years ago I saw this post on the ATX bulletin board:

"All is fair in love and war. I passed by a Hewitt booth this year in the local Wally World. This was on April 14th and there were at least 50 people in line who had been waiting 2 hours. I handed out about 15 of my business cards and said no waiting lines at my house and walked away. Picked up about ten clients that evening and next day. Hewitt never said a word or called."
                that's just so rude! Ain't you Michigander Yanks got any manners a'tall?

Comment

Working...
                X