Education, Political etc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Education, Political etc

doing a clients return and of course am being questioned. want to be sure of this. first of all, client paid education expenses, tuition, etc., for his Son. Client was told it was all a write off. Client makes over 162K which disqualifies for any of the three education credits.

Also, client bought two tickets for a political dinner and was told it was a write off. I don't see that.

Am I missing/forgetting something here?

No on the education

Ask him who said it was. It's always interesting.

Some states give a credit for political contributions. Oregon and Idaho come to mind.

Comment

I will check to see if California gives any kind of credit. No deduction for political donations for federal, correct?
      Last edited by skhyatt; 02-28-2008, 12:20 AM.

Comment

California conforms to the federal. No political donation deduction allowed.

Comment

thanks for the feedback veritas

Comment

If you have the WebCD, go to page 4-3 under the chart "Statutory Nondeductible Expenses" and click on the link citation for lobbying and political expenses.

In general, political stuff is nondeductible, but there are some exceptions in the cited code for local legislation connected with a trade or business.

Comment

Thanks for the reference Bees. I looked up the cite. No business here. Just a hubby and wife going to one of those political fundraisers for a particular candidate.

Comment

Working...
              X