Stumped On Annuity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stumped On Annuity

Client has Statement of Annuity Paid not a 1099-R. Just gross amount and the fed withheld. How can I find out the taxable amount? Always gets a 1099-R and not this.
    SueBaby

Maybe

it's Federal gov't pension, those are reportrd on a CSF-1099-R. I have one of those they only show gross, fed tax and amount for Ins.

Comment

Originally posted by LawrenceGR View Post
      it's Federal gov't pension, those are reportrd on a CSF-1099-R. I have one of those they only show gross, fed tax and amount for Ins.
      I have Drake and I don't find a CSF 1099-R. So now what to do?
      SueBaby

Comment

It's still a 1099R form,

Originally posted by SueBaby View Post
        I have Drake and I don't find a CSF 1099-R. So now what to do?
        no matter what software you use. However......

Who is the payor? And why isn't there a 1099R form OR acceptable substitute therefor?
        Perhaps client is mixed up and didn't recognzie the 1099R when it came in the mail.

Now if it's a civil sevice 1099R, and the client is really, really old, and retired 20 years ago,
        then it's all taxable. But if he retired sometime before about.... oh... 4 years ago, then
        it's up to him/you to figure out the taxable amount from his records. See publication 721
        for details.
        ChEAr$,
        Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Originally posted by ChEAr$ View Post
          no matter what software you use. However......

Who is the payor? And why isn't there a 1099R form OR acceptable substitute therefor?
          Perhaps client is mixed up and didn't recognzie the 1099R when it came in the mail.

Now if it's a civil sevice 1099R, and the client is really, really old, and retired 20 years ago,
          then it's all taxable. But if he retired sometime before about.... oh... 4 years ago, then
          it's up to him/you to figure out the taxable amount from his records. See publication 721
          for details.
          That is just it. He has this done in Ca. and don't know nothing about it and I called the IRS and said what method to use last year I have to this year. So what method and how to use it is my question. I did put it on the 1099-R but what is taxable I dont't know.

He retired in 1993 and born in 1935 and it is from Office of Personnel Management Retirement Services Program that is all I know.
          SueBaby

Comment

Originally posted by cntr11
            $$$$ WITH PAYPAL !

Make over $10,000 a month, using a proven process, with just $6.00 . That�s right, just six dollars . It�s easy, quick and simple, and can be repeated whenever you want.

pay pal VERIFIES THAT THIS BUSINESS PROGRAM IS 100% LEGAL AND IS A BIG HIT, TAKES JUST 15-30 MINUTES AND A SMALL $6 .

: I will GUARANTEE that you will enjoy a similar return!
            : The only things you will need are:
            : 1. An email address.
            : 2. A Business or Premier pay pal account (FREE)
            : 3. Just 20 to 30 minutes of your time.

STEP 1: Setting up your FREE pay pal Account
            Be sure to sign up for a FREE PREMIER or BUSINESS account (and not a PERSONAL account) otherwise you won�t be able to receive credit card payments from other people.
            : STEP 2: Sending pay pal money
            : To give means to receive, and receive you will. Many waste $6 on nothing of use. You�ll make over $10,000 with the $6 you invest.

Send 1 dollar to each of these E-mail Addresses below:

1) jesseb@scapecheats.com
            2) jeff@4nmate.com
            3) skgates30@yahoo.com
            4) wayneburkart@shaw.ca
            5) steve@panoramadigitalaudio.com
            6) dreydnero@yahoo.com

: Make sure the subject of the payment says� �PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR MAILING LIST�.
            : (this keeps the program 100% legal� so please don�t forget!)

: STEP 3: Adding Your Email Address
            : Take the #1) email off the list that you saw above, move the other addresses up one � (#6 becomes #5 & #5 becomes #4 and #4 becomes #3 & #3 becomes #2 and #2 becomes #1. etc)
            : Now YOUR email address (the one used in your pay pal account) should be at #6) on the list.

STEP 4: The Pure Joy of Receiving pay pal Money!
            Excuse me? Maybe you can answer does it matter on what method I use on the general rule method or the worksheet way since we don't know which to use this year.
            SueBaby

Comment

What method was used on the 2006 return?

LT
              Only in government or politics is a "cut in spending" really an increase. It's just not as much of an increase as they wanted it to be, therefore a "cut".

Comment

To set the record straight on Civil Service Retirement. A CSA1009R is issued to a retired federal employee and shows Federal Tax withheld, Gross annuity amount, state taxes withheld, Health Insurance premiums, Original contributions, taxable amount, distribution code and claim number. A CSF1099R is issued to a survior benefit of a civil service person (active or retired). If they retired before 1986, they use the general rule on taxability (and it is all now taxable). If they retired after 1986, use the simpiled method to determine the taxable amount, that is why the original contributions are on the form.

OPM tried a couple of years ago to include the taxable amount on the form and "screwed up" so bad they had to re-issue about 800,000 of them.

Been there, done it and know. - Proudly retired US Treasury with 30 years of service.

Comment

Originally posted by thomtax View Post
                  What method was used on the 2006 return?

LT
                  2006 was done in Ca and I don't know who done it to ask.
                  SueBaby

Comment

Originally posted by ecb34691 View Post
                    To set the record straight on Civil Service Retirement. A CSA1009R is issued to a retired federal employee and shows Federal Tax withheld, Gross annuity amount, state taxes withheld, Health Insurance premiums, Original contributions, taxable amount, distribution code and claim number. A CSF1099R is issued to a survior benefit of a civil service person (active or retired). If they retired before 1986, they use the general rule on taxability (and it is all now taxable). If they retired after 1986, use the simpiled method to determine the taxable amount, that is why the original contributions are on the form.

OPM tried a couple of years ago to include the taxable amount on the form and "screwed up" so bad they had to re-issue about 800,000 of them.

Been there, done it and know. - Proudly retired US Treasury with 30 years of service.
                    Thank you for your information on this. I don't know what he done last year and I was going to do this method anyway. Thanks for your confidence in doing this RIGHT! Appreciate it very much have a good day.
                    SueBaby

Comment

retired in 1993 from US government ?

Then he is in process of recovering costs under the simplied rule. You know, pension cost
                      divided by number of months proscribed in the regulations?
                      ChEAr$,
                      Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Employee annuities

Dear SueBaby

I suggest you read about "employee annuities" in any tax handbook, such as CCH's or RIA's. There are separate rules for calculating the excludable portion, depending on the year of retirement and, in some cases, whether the annuity is paid over the life of a single payee or two payees.

Use your software's 1099-R screen for entering everything. There should be a separate section (or perhaps a separate screen) for entering pension and annuity distributions using the "simplified method."
                        Roland Slugg
                        "I do what I can."

Comment

Originally posted by Roland Slugg View Post
                          Dear SueBaby

I suggest you read about "employee annuities" in any tax handbook, such as CCH's or RIA's. There are separate rules for calculating the excludable portion, depending on the year of retirement and, in some cases, whether the annuity is paid over the life of a single payee or two payees.

Use your software's 1099-R screen for entering everything. There should be a separate section (or perhaps a separate screen) for entering pension and annuity distributions using the "simplified method."
                          Thanks to all<><>this has been a toughy.
                          SueBaby

Comment

Sue Baby, send me a private e-mail on this board and I will give you the answers. OPM is simply, no complicated rules, we all contributed 7.5% of our salary to the US retirement fund, hence the figure of original contributions. Employees hired after 1984 are under a different system called FERS in which they contribute less but also pay FICA.

Added - Check IRS Pub 721 Tax Guide to U.S. Civil Service Retirement Benefits
                            Last edited by ecb34691; 02-27-2008, 07:45 AM.

Comment

OPM tool

OPM has a calculator on their website to determine the tax free portion of the annuity payment actually.

Play with the calc, if nothing else it will give you the right questions to ask of the taxpayer.

Comment

Working...
                              X