Gifting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gifting

Taxpayer and spouse want to gift some land to spouse's son so he can build his home.

I say that they need an appraisal from a Realtor to find the FMV of the land.

Then they can each gift $ 12,000 worth of land to the spouse's son making a total of $ 24,000 worth of land gifted to the son.

They contacted a lawyer and he tells them that they can only gift $ 12,000 as a gift from the spouse to the son. That the taxpayer cannot give a gift to his step-son because he is not blood related.

Where did that come from ? I've read and re-read and I see no place at all that states you can only give a gift to a blood relative.

But who am I to argue with a lawyer .... they are so much smarter than me *ugh*
    Where does it say this???

Thanks for your responses.
    "And So It Begins!!!"

Horse manure retains it's character regardless of the perceived credentials of the horse. If son's married they can transfer 48K between the couples.

Comment

OMG LOL Davc

After picking myself up off the floor from laughing so hard until my sides hurt ...

May I quote you on that remark to my clients ??

I told my husband and he chuckled and said you were to polite with your wording. I had to remind him this was not a naughty board and you were not allowed to swear.

Thank you for your response, it sure gave me some needed laughter.
      "And So It Begins!!!"

Comment

You should tell the lawyer - "I don't practice law and you shouldn't practice in taxes".

Comment

Originally posted by TaxLadyinPA View Post

May I quote you on that remark to my clients ??
          Certainly. You can make a bumper sticker if you want.

Comment

Another example to prove that a lawyer is not always right. (smiling face)

Comment

Working...
            X