EIC grandchild, great grandchild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EIC grandchild, great grandchild

Customers have been claiming granddaughter as dependent for several years. She lives with them and is supported by them. In 2007 she turned 19 and had a child. She made under $3000 in 2007. Father of child is not in the picture. The granddaughter and great granddaughter both live with my customer.

Are my customers/grandparents/great able to claim the great grandchild for EIC? I am not sure by my reading if she is the qualifying child of the mother (grand daughter) or of the grandparents. I am taking the grandchild/mother as a dependent and claiming EIC. I think this is correct. But I am unsure about the great grandchild. I believe they can claim great grandchild as dependent but I am unsure on EIC.

Appreciate any help.
    Thank you

Dany,

I think you'e okay on the great-grandchild. All that's required to be a qualifying child is to be a descendant, be under age 19, and live with you over half the year. Great-grandchild meets those tests.

But, are you saying you're also taking EIC on the grandchild/mother? She's 19 isn't she? Sounds like you'd be okay on the dependency because her income's under $3K, but too old for grandmother to claim EIC on her.

Comment

I got that wrong she was 18 in 2007. Just turned 19 this month.

Let me ask this do I mark the great grandchild as "grandchild" on relationship? Or do I put "Other"? If I put "other" there is no EIC calculated if I put grandchild it calculates for the greatchild.

Also should I check on the questions that the mother could claim the child for EIC? She only made a few hundred dollars. So I don't think that applies.

Thanks Bart I appreciate you answering.

Comment

Originally posted by geekgirldany View Post

...Let me ask this do I mark the great grandchild as "grandchild" on relationship? Or do I put "Other"? If I put "other" there is no EIC calculated if I put grandchild it calculates for the greatchild.
        I would mark it "grandchild" since there's no "great-grandchild" on the list and it's only a question of what degree of grandchild it is (great or great-great, etc.). The IRS computers aren't matching or cross-checking on that sort of thing anyway, so I think it'll go right on through like that without a hitch. About choosing "other" -- it must be a thing with your program because I tried it both ways on a dummy return and my (ATX) program calculated EIC okay using both "other" and "grandchild."

Also should I check on the questions that the mother could claim the child for EIC? She only made a few hundred dollars. So I don't think that applies.
        Actually, I don't think the mom is eligible to claim the kid for EIC because the mom is a qualifying child of her grandmother. Here's a quote from IRS EIC publication:

"You cannot be a qualifying child of another. You are a qualifying chid of another person if all of the following statements are true:
        1. You are that person's...grandchild... (and a list of all the other relatives)
        2. ...you were under age 19...
        3. You lived with that person...for more than half the year."
        Last edited by Black Bart; 02-26-2008, 06:22 PM.

Comment

Thanks so much Bart!. Really appreciate it. This EIC thing can be sticky and just wanted to make sure I was marking everything correctly.

Comment

Working...
          X