Wrong SS number on W-2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wrong SS number on W-2

Was I dreaming ??? Or do I remember hearing on "TAX TALK TODAY" that if you have a W-2 with the wrong SS number you can now still file the tax return with that incorrect number...

You simply need to put the wrong number in the tax program on the w-2 imput screen....

Did I not hear that ?? or am I dreaming ???

I ask because my software will NOT let me do that ......

Am I wrong or is my software wrong for not letting me ...
    We make corrections in the w-2 input screen for wrong addresses, and I can change the SS number but my software won't pass efile requirements when I do it ...

Should it ???

I thought it was a bit strange when I heard it on Tax Talk Today .... but I'm sure that they said we could now do that ... and by putting the wrong number on the input screen that would make the IRS aware of the error so they didn't go after the person who the number belonged to for those wages.
    "And So It Begins!!!"

I know you can do it with ITIN and different SSN, but think if both primary and W2 numbers are SSN you can't efile like that. I'd love to be wrong on that though.

Comment

procedure

Originally posted by TaxLadyinPA View Post
      Was I dreaming ??? Or do I remember hearing on "TAX TALK TODAY" that if you have a W-2 with the wrong SS number you can now still file the tax return with that incorrect number...

You simply need to put the wrong number in the tax program on the w-2 imput screen....

Did I not hear that ?? or am I dreaming ???

I ask because my software will NOT let me do that ......

Am I wrong or is my software wrong for not letting me ...
      We make corrections in the w-2 input screen for wrong addresses, and I can change the SS number but my software won't pass efile requirements when I do it ...

Should it ???

I thought it was a bit strange when I heard it on Tax Talk Today .... but I'm sure that they said we could now do that ... and by putting the wrong number on the input screen that would make the IRS aware of the error so they didn't go after the person who the number belonged to for those wages.
      No, you're not dreaming. In filing a return with such a W2, paper or efiling, it's okay to simply
      have taxpayer line through incorrect number and "neatly" pin in the correct number. Thus
      armed, we will then enter that correct number in our software program.
      ChEAr$,
      Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Have employer correct W-2

Then make sure the person goes back to the employer and corrects the W-2 and gives them a corrected copy.

Linda F

Comment

Employee Needs to

Yes as Linda says,

Employee needs to request that employer file a corrected W-2C and provide a copy to the Employee.

This is important so that the employee receive the proper credits for FICA/Mcare and any State benefits, such as SDI in Calif.

Sandy

Comment

However ...

But ... Didn't they tell me that I am to put the incorrect number in the software program where I enter w-2 info ? So that the IRS would see and then they would not be chasing the other person stating they didn't claim all their income

I do understand that the person definately needs the corrected w-2 for the social security office.

Thanks for responding
            "And So It Begins!!!"

Comment

Working...
            X