Retiring in Israel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Retiring in Israel

Client plans to retire and move to Israel on live on their US social security and 401k benefits.

His wife said that she read that Social Security benefits would be excluded from US income because they are going to live in Israel. I reviewed IRS publication 54 and cannot find such a "benefit" to exclude one's social security benefits from US income while living overseas. Or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance
    Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Publication 915

Those interested - after further review, Publication 915 (page 4) addresses the "exemption" of the mentioned social secuirty benefits from US tax.

Comment

Originally posted by SAMMY View Post
      Those interested - after further review, Publication 915 (page 4) addresses the "exemption" of the mentioned social secuirty benefits from US tax.
      Is that regardless of any other income? Fully not reportable?
      This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

yup,

Originally posted by BOB W View Post
        Is that regardless of any other income? Fully not reportable?
        for the countries listed at the op's reference [pub 915, pg4]

this would be a good add-on to the worksheet at 16-9 in ttb [hint]
        Just because I look dumb does not mean I am not.

Comment

Does this refer to countries with whom US has a so-called 'totalisation agreement'?

Comment

CERTAIN COUNTRIES AS LISTED - not U.S.

Yes the countries listed in the publication as it relates to Social Security benefits are exempt from US taxes - very interesting - if alot of seniors who are taxed in the U.S. on the benefits might be upset if they knew about it

p.s. The U.S. is not one -

Comment

Originally posted by SAMMY View Post
              Yes the countries listed in the publication as it relates to Social Security benefits are exempt from US taxes - very interesting - if alot of seniors who are taxed in the U.S. on the benefits might be upset if they knew about it

p.s. The U.S. is not one -
              I must be thick: these totalisation agreements are between the US and several foreign countries. How can the US 'not be one'?

Comment

Working...
              X