Investment Interest Form 4952

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Investment Interest Form 4952

Client paid over a half-million to purchase a subchapter S company.

Company responded with a profit of $95,000 for 2007, plus $2400 in portfolio interest income. SCorp passed all of this onto my client.

Client (not the corporation) personally paid $34,000 in interest expense on the half-million dollar loan. After putting this into Form 4952, the software is allowing only the $2400 to be deducted, and the rest of the interest is being carried forward to 2008.

The instructions for form 4952 say that business operations are not included in "investment income." This means that the $95,000 ordinary income cannot be used.

This is ridiculous. Client is paying $34,000 in interest for the purchase of corporate stock that is earning good money. Why can't he deduct it somewhere? Am I doing something wrong, is there something wrong in my approach, or is my client just screwed?

Originally posted by Nashville View Post
    Client paid over a half-million to purchase a subchapter S company.

is my client just screwed?
    That's correct. Your client just got screwed

brian
    Everybody should pay his income tax with a smile. I tried it, but they wanted cash

Comment

Deductible

Originally posted by Brian EA View Post
      That's correct. Your client just got screwed.
      That is NOT correct.

If the S Corp is a nonpassive activity with respect to the T/P, the interest is deductible on Schedule E. (See the 5th paragraph in the middle column on p.6 of the instructions for Schedule E.) If the S Corp is a passive activity, first start with F-8582. This kind of interest does not go on F-4952.
      Roland Slugg
      "I do what I can."

Comment

Roland and Brian

One guy tells me what I want to hear, the other one doesn't.

Guess who gets invited to my April 16th after-tax party?
        Sorry Brian.

Seriously, thanks to both of you for responding, and thanks to
        Roland for the road map.

With twangy notes and nose singing - Nashville

Comment

Working...
        X