Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

worked in california and illinois

hello
    i am a california resident where i work 3 jobs and i also worked a little bit in illinois in 2007. i also cashed in a roth ira.
    i am trying to figure out which state forms to file.
    my guess is 540, CA(540), schedule S (other state tax credit) and IL -1040. including the non resident form
    please someone let me know if this is correct

Illinois

I'm not familiar with the IL nonresident form number, but the rest sounds fine.

Dennis

Comment

thanks

its IL schedule NR

any idea where i can get some explicit help for filling out the schedule S form?
      im having a heck of a time even with the instructions page

Comment

Beth

Try this (800) 852-5711.

Sch S should be simple for you to fill out. Look at the form a couple of times to familiarize yourself and then if you can't figure it out, give the FTB a call at the above number. They should be able to help you.

Many times for me, instructions are not written in plain English, but more often resemble a mystery novel! Sometimes, a call to an agency will clear something up for me.

Good luck,

Dennis

Comment

thanks again

Comment

Illinois Forms

You will need to file and IL-1040 with the schedule NR.

ILDOR website: http://www.iltax.com/
            This years indiviidual forms: http://www.iltax.com/TaxForms/Incm20...dual/index.htm

You will pay IL income tax on your Illiniois earnings reduced by the personal exemption, as a percentage of the IL AGI of the federal AGI.

As a California full year resident you will be allowed a credit against your California income tax for the taxes paid to Illiois.

Illinois does not tax retirement fund withdrawls and as a non-resident this income would not appear as Illinois based income.

Comment

thanks

i filed both of those IL forms
              its mostly the california part that is giving me trouble
              i used turbotax and h&r block just to see what they came up with and both gave me different amounts than what i came up with on my own.
              i think i am being taxed twice on the Illinois income and i think schedule S is how i get that $ back? am i correct on that?
              and filling out the ca(540) seemed pointless but i guess i have to do that too?

Comment

Steps

Firat complete the Fedral return. Next complete the IL-1040 up to line 13 then complete Schedule NR, being careful to only put IL based income into the IL columns. Now you should be able to complete the California forms. Note the Illinois has a flat 3% income tax rate so you may still owe money to California if you are being taxed at a higher rate. But there should be some credit for the taxes paid to Illinois. The credit for the taxes paid to Illinois and claimed on the Califronia tax return should the the tax on Line 15 of the Illinois 1040 and not any balance due or tax withheld.

Comment

"The credit for the taxes paid to Illinois and claimed on the Califronia tax return should the the tax on Line 15 of the Illinois 1040 and not any balance due or tax withheld."

can you go into more detail here?
                  thanks and sorry for all the questions

Comment

schedule S

i am coming up with $0. on schedule S
                    does that seem right?

Comment

Working...
                    X