Alimony?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alimony?

New client is going through a divorce. He and wife separated in September of last year and the divorce is not yet final. His wife got an order from the county Domestic Relations Office and he must pay child support and spousal support. I did not get all the details on if this is temporary until the divorce is final, but would the spousal support portion be considered alimony? At first, I did not think so since there is no divorce decree in place, but now I am thinking it is since there is a court order in place requiring the payments. Thanks for the help.

cardinal rule

Originally posted by KBTS View Post
    New client is going through a divorce. He and wife separated in September of last year and the divorce is not yet final. His wife got an order from the county Domestic Relations Office and he must pay child support and spousal support. I did not get all the details on if this is temporary until the divorce is final, but would the spousal support portion be considered alimony? At first, I did not think so since there is no divorce decree in place, but now I am thinking it is since there is a court order in place requiring the payments. Thanks for the help.
    in our line of business is to always get a copy of any court orders and agreements in cases like this.

Then you'll have a better grasp of what question(s) to ask.
    ChEAr$,
    Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Working...
    X