Adult Diapers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adult Diapers

TP is confined to wheelchair, has Parkinsons and is diabetic and incontinent . Needs to use adult diapers. How do i list this as a medical expense deduction?

Originally posted by EllieB View Post
    TP is confined to wheelchair, has Parkinsons and is diabetic and incontinent . Needs to use adult diapers. How do i list this as a medical expense deduction?
    I would put in under medical supplies.
    This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

IRS Pub 502, page 15,

Diaper Service
      You cannot include in medical expenses the amount you
      pay for diapers or diaper services, unless they are needed to
      relieve the effects of a particular disease.
      The person has Parkinsons and is diabetic and incontinent. Those are diseases, and the diapers are needed to relieve the effects of those diseases.

The diapers are deductilbe as a medical expense.

Comment

agree with bees

Originally posted by Bees Knees View Post
        IRS Pub 502, page 15,

The person has Parkinsons and is diabetic and incontinent. Those are diseases, and the diapers are needed to relieve the effects of those diseases.

The diapers are deductilbe as a medical expense.
        and don't forget -- not everything needs a Rx to be a deductible medical expense.
        break a leg? = cane/crutch
        hard of hearing? = hearing aid batteries
        Just because I look dumb does not mean I am not.

Comment

Medical supplies

Diabetics can deduct the cost of needles and alcohol wipes they use to test their sugar levels. You can deduct pads that you put on the bed of an incontinent person. So I would think you could deduct the cost of the Depends. I would just list it under medical supplies.

Linda F

Comment

diapers

Diapers for those that are alzheimers patients or with dementia can't control their bodily functions. They don't remember how.

No different than a hospital charging for those gowns with the opening in the back. Or a hospital providing adult diapers. These all get paid by medicare and insurance companies.

I deduct them, along with the massive nursing home and other medical expenses for these type of patients.
            Jiggers, EA

Comment

Working...
            X