SSA vs SSI disability for rebate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SSA vs SSI disability for rebate

As I understand, \the rebate excludes SSI disability income from the earned income definition to qualify for the rebate. It doesn't appear to exclude SSA disability benefits. I suppose that's because SSI disability is more like a welfare benefit. I suppose this is a dumb question, but I haven't seen any SSI reporting. Does it indicate SSI at the top of the form received from SS for tax reporting? I have a young client on disability, I believe his document has an SSA heading.

I don't know the official answer to your question, but I have to wonder how the IRS is going to know the difference when it is all reported on the same form and in the same way.

LT
    Only in government or politics is a "cut in spending" really an increase. It's just not as much of an increase as they wanted it to be, therefore a "cut".

Comment

SSA vs SSI

I just received my client's information. His disability infomation is reported on a Form SSA-1099. It doesn't look any different than all the other SSA-1099's I've seen. There's no indication that the benefits he's receiving are for a disability (which they are...he's only 33 years old). I don't know if the IRS is going to coordingate with the SSA on this type of situation, or not. The Form does have a claim number. Again, my understanding was that only SSI disability (which is funded separately) can't be included as earned income for the rebate. Can anyone confirm that's correct?

Comment

No 1099 sent on SSI. Never reported.

Comment

Originally posted by ecb34691 View Post
          No 1099 sent on SSI. Never reported.
          Thanks. That explains it.

Comment

Working...
          X