Bees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I stand corrected

I have only been to Wisconsin where my wife is from originally. Pretty much everything was flat.

Enjoyed the visit since the culture is different than here. Plus I like the Friday night fish fry.

Comment

Thanks for the tour, mblatour;

Originally posted by mblatour View Post
      Couldn't sleep, so here are some cools pics of Duluth (hope this works):

Here's a view of Central Duluth (looking uphill from Lake Superior)

This is the downtown business district. Our biggest mall is up over the hill

Here's one of the main drags down town (Lake Ave.); one of the better roads:

Here's one of our bridges (the aerial lift bridge):

Here's the Northern Lights (reflections from the icebergs up north) from the Duluth beach area called Park Point:

One of the high bridges that connect Duluth's tip to Superior, WI:

Part of our hillside in autumn (a less populated view)
      http://www.pbase.com/kimr55760/image/34823591
      and for your commentary. Those are strikingly beautiful pictures. I had no idea that it looked so lovely up there.

Comment

Originally posted by Nashville View Post
        Bees says he moved from Duluth to Buffalo. What a relief it was for him to leave all that snow behind.
        Sorry. I should have clarified that I moved to Buffalo MN, not Buffalo NY. Buffalo MN is 45 minutes west of the Twin Cities. I have always lived in MN.

Originally posted by Gary View Post
        Phoenix - sunny and 75
        Arizona is the snowbird capital of Minnesota. We send half of our State down to you guys during the winter so our rush hours can run a little bit smoother during a blizzard.

Comment

Weather

As quoted in a famouse TV comedy-"we live here because we keep better. Be careful saying Bob Zimmerman is from Duluth. Hibbing-Minnesota will not appreciate that. I think Bees might have palyed with him while he hung out at the U of MN briefly in the early 60s. I worked with a friend of his who claims to this day Bob took his guitar when he left. His mother-in-law and Bob's Mom, who moved to MPLS years ago, played cards every week in the 80s and early 90s.

We do not have to check people at the boader as much during January and February every year.

Comment

Jon, you are correct...

on the birth place of Bob. When I said "we" I should have clarified it as being specifically Hibbing and not Duluth. You see I live in the country; outside the city limits but still considered part of Duluth. Up in here in the north, we all sort of relate to one another and often think of ourselves as a whole.

Interesting about the little Bob Dylan tidbits you shared. Thanks!

Comment

Correction

[QUOTE]The typical drop of rain falling on the shores of Duluth will take 138 years to reach Lake Huron at the Straits of Mackinac.[QUOTE]

Sorry folks, I'm sure those of you better-informed have been losing sleep over my post. I hate to bear mistakes, so I'll follow up.

Wikipedia says my drop of water will take 191 years, not 138. So much for my great-great grandchildren. Also Lake Superior drains into Huron via the St. Marys River at Sault Ste. Marie and does NOT flow through Mackinac. I'm sure this extra distance is responsible for the extra 53 years of flushing time in the error above.

If my drop of water ever makes it to Lake Erie, it will be in-and-out of there in 4 years. That's a real toilet by comparison.

You guys can tell I'm really busy today, right?

"Farther below Lake Ontario {zzmmm} takes what Lake Erie can give her" - Gordon Lightfoot

Comment

Not to name drop but...

Originally posted by JON View Post
                I think Bees might have palyed with him while he hung out at the U of MN briefly in the early 60s.
                Bob Dylan was before my time. I played with the Bees Knees Big Band, which was made up of former Lamont Cranston guys. We fronted for Carl Perkins and Asleep At The Wheel when they played the Union Bar in North Minneapolis in the late 70s. I also played in a band with a guy who played bass for Roy Orbison when he appeared on the Ed Sullivan show in the 60s. I also use to clean the carpets for the guy who played drums for Prince.

Those are all the famous names I can drop before I had to go get a day job…

Comment

Aw, I can top that.

Originally posted by Bees Knees View Post

...I also use to clean the carpets for the guy who played drums for Prince...
                  You aren't the only one who's got connections to famous people. My best friend's sister-in-law's ex-husband was once personally acquainted with a Memphis funeral home hearse driver's assistant who snipped a lock of Elvis' hair on the sly.

Comment

Wisconsin isn't all flat! You get to the southwestern part of the state and you definitely have hills. I'm 20 miles west of Milwaukee and we're on pace to set a new season snow record. The weather man counted it's snowed 50% of the days since December 1st. Not nearly as cold as International Falls but we've had the subzero wind chills enough that I'm looking forward to a warming trend with temperatures in the 20s!

Comment

Judd....

My husband's grandparents live about 20 miles west of Milwaukee in Waukesha (they used to live in Pewaukee). We drive down there 2-3 times a year to visit them for a few days. We stay in a waterpark hotel called the Springs (I believe). Our kids love it there. The drive takes us about 8 hours from Duluth, counting bathroom breaks and one meal stop. It's a nice area, but the drive down to there is mostly flat. There are some beautiful rock cliffs along the way to look at; and also lot's of dairy cows :-)

I love driving around the edges of Milwaukee and checking out things. We have yet to go into the main city; too big for us to handle I think.

Comment

Oh, but it looks cold in Duluth. but oh so pretty. Do you get the northern lights often? One of the sights I'd like to see...

Comment

It's cold but worth it...

I don't think I could ever live anywhere else. The northern lights can be seen pretty often, you just have to know when to look and be patient. There's times I've thought they were something else (like the lights from a baseball field reflecting or something; while driving).
                          Very cool to see.

Comment

Originally posted by mblatour View Post
                            I don't think I could ever live anywhere else. The northern lights can be seen pretty often, you just have to know when to look and be patient. There's times I've thought they were something else (like the lights from a baseball field reflecting or something; while driving).
                            Very cool to see.
                            As someone that grew-up west of you in the Detroit Lakes area, The sun setting over the Gulf of Mexico at 70F is every bit as good as the north lights at -20F. I left there at 18 to go to college in the SW ... and was never really back for any extended time in the winter. Then about 10 years ago, the company I worked for sent me to Fargo for a couple of weeks in February I found out that I not as dumb of a kid at 18 as I thought I was, I left there and never went back! ....-20F with wind chill? How long can you watch the N lights?

~~~~

Comment

Working...
                            X