Stock Sales

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stock Sales

I have a client that has about 50 stock sales, all short term. The Schwab statement gives the capital loss for all the sales.This year can I just put one entry under Charles Schwab and electronically file with an 8453, sending in a copy of the Schwab statement with the 8453. It seems like this changes from year to year.

Any insight woiuld be appreciated. I really don't want to have to enter all fifty sales.

Thanks,

Gary

Originally posted by Gary View Post
    I have a client that has about 50 stock sales, all short term. The Schwab statement gives the capital loss for all the sales.This year can I just put one entry under Charles Schwab and electronically file with an 8453, sending in a copy of the Schwab statement with the 8453. It seems like this changes from year to year.

Any insight woiuld be appreciated. I really don't want to have to enter all fifty sales.

Thanks,

Gary
    My software will import an (Excel) spreadsheet. The broker can furnish one. A copy of the Schwab statement would probably not be considered a sub for a Sched D-1.

I offer my clients a choice. Either they furnish the spreadsheet or I will bill them $X.XX per entry. I had three clients last year with over 500 sales. Guess which choice they took.

Comment

Charge or something like D-1

Anymore we have no choice. At the begining of 2006 filing season, the IRS came out and "restated" the proper procedure for stock trades. "Statements will not do." Just explain or bill accordingly.

Comment

Instructions for Schedule D

Instructions for Schedule D state: "You must enter the details of each transaction on a separate line of Schedule D."

Thus I don't see the option to include an Xcel spread sheet.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary View Post
          Instructions for Schedule D state: "You must enter the details of each transaction on a separate line of Schedule D."

Thus I don't see the option to include an Xcel spread sheet.
          Check your software. Mine will IMPORT a spreadsheet. Thus the transaction appear on the Sched D and D-1 on a separate line. Otherwise enter the transactions and bill for them or have client furnish a filled in Sched D-1. Those are your choices.

Comment

See TTB

"Schedule D transaction detail. The instructions to Schedule D
            require the details of each transaction be reported on a separate
            line. If more than five transactions are reported on line 1 or line
            8, additional transactions are reported on Schedule D-1 and the
            combined totals from all Schedules D-1 are entered on line 2 or
            line 9 of Schedule D. Taxpayers may not enter “see attached” with
            summary totals in lieu of reporting the details of each transaction.
            However, taxpayers may submit attachments in lieu of completing
            lines 1 and 8 on Schedule D or D-1 as long as the attachments
            contain all the required information and are in a similar format.
            For electronically filed returns, taxpayers may attach any necessary
            Schedules D-1, or acceptable substitutes for Schedule D-1,
            to Form 8453."

The TaxBook is a great resource.

Comment

Gary you understand perfectly

You are all set.

Comment

Thanks

Thank you all. I guess I will go into work early tomorrow to input all the sales.

Comment

Working...
                X