Silly EIN or SS question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Silly EIN or SS question

I am preparing 1099s for clients and several them for me. I am not too crazy about putting my SS on the form. I would like to obtain an EIN for my sole prop and use that.

Is this OK? First year I've had to deal with this.

Thanks,

Dennis

Pretty good reason...

for a SMLLC and using the EIN. Of course, in my state, all it takes is $100 and a one page form to get running. No other annual fees. Different answer in CA for instance.

Comment

Get a PTIN. Its the reason they have them. Easy from IRS website.

Comment

Ptin

I have a PTIN that I use on all returns, but not an EIN. Can I use the PTIN? I've never heard of this.

Dennis

Comment

Yes, you can. The options run: preparer's SSN
          EIN or
          PTIN.

Comment

oops, I didn't see the '1099s for me' part. Not sure if you can use a PTIN for that...

Comment

Dennis, 1099's require SS or EIN. Call the IRS number to find out if you can get EIN as sole proprietor and not having employees.

Comment

Joan...

you are correct, these 1099s are being issued to me.

The only example I can find shows a company with an EIN, but the 1099 is issued under the s/p ss#. I don't want to do this, if I can avoid it.

Dennis

Comment

Online ein#

Go online with the IRS and get a EIN# within 10 minutes.

Comment

Don't bother calling the IRS, just log in to www.irs.gov and fill in the information for an EIN and you'll have it within 20 minutes. You can use one as a Sole prop. with no employees, I've been doing it for 15 years.
                    "A man that holds a cat by the tail learns something he can learn no other way." - Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                    X