e file-for son in prison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

e file-for son in prison

Son is now incarcerated and parents want return filed. Can I prepare the e-file and they have him sign it and return it to me and be safe on efile.

It's okay

Originally posted by gman View Post
    Son is now incarcerated and parents want return filed. Can I prepare the e-file and they have him sign it and return it to me and be safe on efile.
    just as long as you are persuaded that it IS his signature.
    ChEAr$,
    Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Jumping through the hoops

By the time you jump through all those hoops and take a risk that you're e-filing with a bogus signature, it seems you'd be much safer just preparing a paper return. Just give it to the parents for filing, with instructions that they deliver it to him for signature. You're done, and if they should happen to decide to get fancy with the signatures you're out of the picture. Besides, if he's incarcerated it isn't as though he's in a hurry to get his refund.
      Last edited by JohnH; 02-05-2008, 02:45 PM.
      "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Do parents have POA by any chance? Then they could sign or one of them.

Comment

e-file for prisoner

I had a similar situation last year.
          The person's court appointed representative sent me a certified copy of a court order identifying the representative. I spoke with the person after receiving the documents, and she went to the prison with an 8879 form for signature. I matched it with the signature from the prior year - and I was able to match it.
          Then I e-filed. Had no problem.
          Uncle Sam, CPA, EA. ARA, NTPI Fellow

Comment

Working...
          X