Employee purchase co stk, Co matches in stk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Employee purchase co stk, Co matches in stk

Employee participates in company stock purchase plan. Company matches (in stock) 50% of what she purchases. She has a letter stating the match is taxable and the company will withhold the taxes from her Jan & Feb paychecks.

What I can't determine is where the taxable match is reported. I don't see a separate line item on the W-2. There are no additional forms (other than the 1099-DIV for dividends on the company stock.) She's getting a significant refund. I don't want to be missing something.

She's going to look at her paystubs and get back to me.

Good idea

Originally posted by KJ Judd View Post
    Employee participates in company stock purchase plan. Company matches (in stock) 50% of what she purchases. She has a letter stating the match is taxable and the company will withhold the taxes from her Jan & Feb paychecks.

What I can't determine is where the taxable match is reported. I don't see a separate line item on the W-2. There are no additional forms (other than the 1099-DIV for dividends on the company stock.) She's getting a significant refund. I don't want to be missing something.

She's going to look at her paystubs and get back to me.
    is to persuade clients to always bring in last pay stub for the year which should/many times
    will have year to date totals. From this you can usually reconcile gross pay with taxable
    amount in box 1 of W2 form.

A fellow this morning always thought that his company "gave" him the stock, and seemed
    surprised to learn that when they 'gave' him the stock they also included it in W2 at end of year.
    ChEAr$,
    Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

There is not a separate line. It's in the wages box.

Comment

Her company switched payroll services during the year. On last year's I see they adding it in. This year, I don't. What threw me was on wages slightly lower than last year her withholding was up $3k. I couldn't explain it. Then we started looking at paystubs and realized when she'd get her commission check her withholding would really spike. The accountant in my blood is bothered when I see a large difference from year to year & I can't explain it!

Comment

Working...
        X