College Student question Dependent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

College Student question Dependent

I have a t/p that has a daughter that turned 19 in 9/07 and is full time in college.
    She paid for her tuition through Higher Ed Savings Trust in the amount of $1143, (form 1099Q) student loans in her name in the amount of $867, then books etc out of pocket in the amount of approx $400 (parents and child)

The daugher is stil in college, she worked in 2007 and earned $7,427.

Are the parents stil able to claim her as a dependent in 2007. Seems like they still support greater than 50% just based on housing and food, and parents are still furnishing medical insurance.

Thoughts

Thanks

Sandy
    Last edited by S T; 02-04-2008, 01:32 AM.

I'm not sure what your concern is,

other than the support test. Clearly the other tests for Qualifying Child are met. I would guess that if the parents are of middle class or greater means they probably did meet the support test.

Comment

Yes

Assuming the parents have enough income to show they paid more than half of her support and did pay more than half of her support.

Comment

1099q

Wasnt sure because of the 1099Q.

I think for support we are okay, Parents income around $100K only one other dependent in household.

1099Q goes on dependents return correct, we have tuition and books to cover 1099Q issued to dependent.

No ed credits on parents due to the 1099Q, correct?

Too many componets to deal with between the dependency, age 19 part time work college student and the education ?

thanks,

Sandy

Comment

Originally posted by S T View Post

No ed credits on parents due to the 1099Q, correct?
          No, that's not necessarily correct.
          Look here, esp. p. 45-46, for coordinating 1099Q dist & tuition credits.

Comment

Working...
          X