Deducting Student Loan Interest with a "higher" income

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deducting Student Loan Interest with a "higher" income

OK, this is beyond ridiculous. I paid over 4,500 in student loan interest alone last year, but I can't deduct it because I made $76K??? I am young, I have no kids and I don't own a home. There has to be something I can do... I can deduct my $1300 laptop that I bought for work, but not my student loan interest??? Please tell me that the government isn't that stupid???? Are there any accountants out there that can give me some advise? I make 76K, have over 100K in loans out there, have rent to pay, etc. I should be entitled to deduct this. There has to be a way. Please help!

Entitled?

Maybe

By the way are you sure about deducting the computer?

Comment

Originally posted by jlanigan View Post
      Please tell me that the government isn't that stupid???? Are there any accountants out there that can give me some advise? I make 76K, have over 100K in loans out there, have rent to pay, etc. I should be entitled to deduct this. There has to be a way. Please help!

Give me 21K so that your income does not exceed the 55K limit. Then I will give you back the amount of tax you could have saved had you actually been allowed to deduct your student loan interest.

Comment

Working...
      X