Substitute W-2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Substitute W-2

I have a client that is quite confident one of his jobs will not be sending out any W-2s. Business location cleaned out, closed up, phones disconnected, etc.

I have prepared 4852 and want him to wait a couple weeks, just in case. Instructions say NOT to file before 4/15. This seems odd to me.

Has anyone e-filed this form before 4/15 with no problems?

Thanks,

Dennis

Dennis,

Are you sure it doesn't say 2/15? February 15th has always been the date the IRS allows Sub W-2s.
    You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Comment

Originally posted by DTS View Post
      I have a client that is quite confident one of his jobs will not be sending out any W-2s. Business location cleaned out, closed up, phones disconnected, etc.

I have prepared 4852 and want him to wait a couple weeks, just in case. Instructions say NOT to file before 4/15. This seems odd to me.

Has anyone e-filed this form before 4/15 with no problems?

Thanks,

Dennis
      In prior years I have filed 4852 before 4/15 but after 2/15 with no problem.

Comment

Quote:
        You should always attempt to get Form W-2 or Form 1099-R
        from your employer or payer before contacting the IRS or filing
        Form 4852. After February 14, you may call the IRS at
        1-800-829-1040 if you still have not received Form W-2 or Form
        1099-R. Generally, do not file Form 4852 before April 15.

I just talked to the fellow a minute ago and told him again to wait. If you have done this with no problem, I may file in a couple weeks.

Dennis

Comment

Of course I don't know why IRS still has that stupid instruction. They accept sub's after 2/15 for e-filing. They don't get any w-2 information until after SSA has processed the W-2/W-3's. The employer doesn't even have to send them to SSA until 2/28. IRS doesn't finish processing w-2 until about October.

Comment

Working...
          X