death of dependent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

death of dependent

clients son passed away in January. He is still entitled to exemption. If I post ( ATX USER) that he lived at home 1 month, it shows as a dependent that did not live with him. Do I need to override this or merely put 12 months down so it corrects itself. Also, on death of a dependent, do I still mark the top of form to show deceased ? Thanks for replies.

Put in 12. The dependent is considered to live there for the full year if s/he is born or died during the year, even if s/he lived for only one day, ie born Dec. 31, or died Jan 1.

Comment

Death of Dependent

Originally posted by ernieh View Post
      . Also, on death of a dependent, do I still mark the top of form to show deceased ? Thanks for replies.
      If you are using ATX, marking "deceased " on filer's info worksheet will print proper info on form automatically. This is for taxpayer and/or spouse only. There is no box on dependent's info worksheet to put any DOD information and you do not show on 1040.

Comment

thanks for replies

confirms what I was thinking. just wanted to make sure I was not overlooking something.

Comment

Working...
        X