1040 X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1040 X

I have a new client who came in and I efile her return. She called later and had two documents that she received in the mail, one or unemployment compensation and one for student loan interest. Since she has a low income, the 1040X does not affect her original return. Should I file an amended or leave it alone.
    I am inclined to do the amended after she gets her direct deposit. What are you thoughts on this situation?

Agreed

As the tax is not going to change I would amend after the refund is received. I would amend for no other reason than to make sure she understands that she can't file till she receives all her documents. If you don't make her pay for this mistake she will do it again.

Comment

File it

Originally posted by Chief View Post
      I have a new client who came in and I efile her return. She called later and had two documents that she received in the mail, one or unemployment compensation and one for student loan interest. Since she has a low income, the 1040X does not affect her original return. Should I file an amended or leave it alone.
      I am inclined to do the amended after she gets her direct deposit. What are you thoughts on this situation?
      I had something similar a couple of years ago. The unreported item was so small it did not change the tax but I filed the 1040X anyway to avoid the possibility of an IRS letter asking about it. I forget what it was, but it may have been a Schedule D transaction which could have appeared to be 100% profit to the IRS. In that kind of situation you could have a $10000 sale and a cost of $9999, and if you didn't report it the IRS would assume the cost was zero.

Comment

In any event,

decision as to amend or not is up to the client. Our job is to lay the facts on the table,
        and she should then decide.
        ChEAr$,
        Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Working...
        X