new on the block

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new on the block

would like some advice! what are the best organizations to join for educational purposes?
    i have a new business and would like to get some sound advise from someone besides clients. any suggestions?

Welcome aboard! I love NSTP - National Society of Tax Professionals. The education they provide is outstanding and they had the best visited lectures at the IRS Tax Forums.

Comment

If you are an EA look at NAEA if a CPA look at AICPA both are very large organizations with a lot of clout.

Comment

Education

Beverly,

I guess we all assume you are in Tax Preparation business, but your post doesn't provide this informaiton.....

What is the nature of your new business?
        T. R. Miller
        SunTaxMan
        www.SunTaxMan.com

Comment

Crozet

Crozet, VA?? Finally, someplace in the US I've never been.

However, I have been to the nearby bustling metropolis of Yancey Mills.
          Charlottesville-Thomas Jefferson country.

Welcome to the urbane, Crozet!! In the meantime, Ain't We Got Fun!!

Comment

hi

thanks for reply, just scheduled ea exam, have to do a lot of studying.
            Originally posted by sea-tax View Post
            If you are an EA look at NAEA if a CPA look at AICPA both are very large organizations with a lot of clout.

Comment

Yes I am in the tax prep business and thanks for your reply. But right now doing more accounting than anything. Working on cpe credits and ea exam. Have you any advise?
              Bev

Originally posted by SunTaxMan View Post
              Beverly,

I guess we all assume you are in Tax Preparation business, but your post doesn't provide this informaiton.....

What is the nature of your new business?

Comment

NATP is another good organization. Check it out at http://www.natptax.com/

Comment

Cpe

Originally posted by beverlyk@embarqmail.com View Post
                  Yes I am in the tax prep business and thanks for your reply. But right now doing more accounting than anything. Working on cpe credits and ea exam. Have you any advise?
                  Bev
                  I find the most beneficial thing is the research I do when I encounter a new situation rather than what I learn in CPE courses. A very high percent of what you need to know to deal with new situations is in The Tax Book. From there you may need further details by going to the IRS web site. CCH and RIA both have some good reference books that help clarify some of the questions.

The most useful tax course I ever had was the two semesters of Income Tax I had many years ago in college. Even though the laws have changed a lot over the years, that course along with a lot of accounting courses laid the foundation which is the most important thing. Once you have a basic foundation, then you build on it everytime you deal with something new.

Reading tax-related message boards is also valuable. You see questions and answers about real life problems others are coping with. Even if you forget what you read, you can use the 'search' feature if you need to know more later.

Comment

Bad Word

Bev, in future posts you might want to avoid the word "Block" lol. It reminds people of a certain company in our business.

Comment

New on the Block

I love NATP at: www.natptax.com. Members receive a weekly newsletter, a monthly magazine and a quarterly journal, all of which is outstanding. NATP (National Association of Tax Professionals) gives information useful to all tax practioners, not just EAs. I am an EA also, but I perfer a membership that caters to all since I don't emphasize my EA authority publicly. Hope this helps.

Regards, taxjungle

Comment

You also may want to check out American Society of Women Accountants. We have all kinds of accountants, not just tax (and even some men!). Also give out scholarships and CPE is available at a lot of the meetings.

Comment

Working...
                        X