Surprised

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Surprised

I was talking with a client about his return and more specifically that he no longer would get the child tax credit for one of his children since the child turned 17 in 07.

I have prepared his returns for multiple years with the dob provided. Today I found out it was off one year and the child is actually 16.

My consternation is I have efiled his return every year with no problem.

As I remember in the past, the rejection for e-filing only came up if the year of birth was wrong when claiming EIC.

Comment

Consternation?

C'mon Veritas, most of didn't even learn how to say "refrigerator" until yesterday. I think it has something to do with Orion's Belt, the Big Dipper, etc.

Is this consternation something you feel because you think the IRS with its efficient data system would have caught the error? Or because you made the mistake and haven't caught it yourself? For the first possibility, I say "fat chance." For the second, I'll have to admit that once having asked for birthdays, I don't hassle them with the same question the next year, or the next.

Comment

I don't think it is an issue

Veritas,

I don't think it is an issue, if you would have been off 1 year the other way, last year, they might have caught it if they are using the SSA records to verify.

So probably just change the date in your computer, take the credit, and all is well.

Sandy

Comment

Consternation

is somethig I get when things are, how should I say it? Out of sync.

Comment

I know just what you mean.

Originally posted by veritas View Post
            is somethig I get when things are, how should I say it? Out of sync.
            And I certainly deplore the insensitive remarks of our dentally-challenged Tennessee colleague to "make fun" of your health problems. While I have fortunately been spared this ordeal, a few of my clients tell me that they are similarly afflicted (they, too, occasionally get "out of sync").

Here's a tip -- they say pop two Ex-Lax tablets and consternation will absolutely and wonderfully clear up right away. But I have to say I'm a tad surprised that you haven't heard of this remedy -- is your village in a remote area of the great Northwest?

Well anyway, try that -- they swear and declare they haven't been consterned since.

P.S. I've got sump'n for spider bites too, if that ever comes up.

Comment

Originally posted by veritas View Post
              I was talking with a client about his return and more specifically that he no longer would get the child tax credit for one of his children since the child turned 17 in 07.

I have prepared his returns for multiple years with the dob provided. Today I found out it was off one year and the child is actually 16.

My consternation is I have efiled his return every year with no problem.
              If you will look at an actual Form 1040 (not the one your computer screen shows), you will note that there is no place to enter the child's age or DOB. Nor is there a place on the 8901, if you happen to file that Form.

The fact that your software asks for the DOB does not mean it is efiled to IRS, unless it is needed on one of the other forms, such as Schedule EIC.

Comment

Say Veritas -- speaking of medical matters,

I know you ride a Harley and I wonder if you could tell me anything about a TV ad I've been curious about lately.

This ad is selling some little blue pills called -- well, modesty forbids the mention of such here, so let's just say the pill's name closely resembles the medical term for a certain portion of the female anatomy. The ad features a handsome young couple; they call him Ed (he's in construction -- erects something or another) but they don't mention her name at all.

Anyway they're on a motorcycle and it's a glorious sunny summer day. They're zipping down a stretch of highway winding through the mountainous countryside sporting wall-to-wall smiles -- they've deliriously happy -- they've never been happier. What a thrill this motorcycle ride is, their body language seems to say.

Now; what I want to know is this -- does everybody that rides a motorcycle "get high" like that? I don't mean from drugs, but from what the exercise buffs call a "runner's high" (a feeling of well-being induced by prolonged running/jogging). Do you know -- is there a motorcyclist's high? Or is it those little blue pills?

Thanks for insights.

Best regards, BB

P.S. I liked your "Keep Portland Weird" quote. What do you think about me using "Keep Arkansas Provincial"?

Comment

You are always so smart, Bees (smile). I just got, how did Veritas say, consternated myself, thinking not even the IRS controls work well, but you got a very good point here.

Comment

Surprised/Child's Age Incorrect

I had this situation only the reverse. Claimed the child tax credit, and eventually got a CP 2000 deleting the CTC stating "child was over 17." This surprised the parents who definitely remember the date (and year) the child was born. Birth certificate was correct, but maybe due to birth in early January SSA entered wrong year in their records when SSN was applied for. We had to take birth certificate to SSA and get their records corrected, then file amended return to get CTC. So this only occurs if you take the credit. and it appears due to SSA's records, that you are not entitled to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Bart View Post
                      And I certainly deplore the insensitive remarks of our dentally-challenged Tennessee colleague to "make fun" of your health problems. While I have fortunately been spared this ordeal, a few of my clients tell me that they are similarly afflicted (they, too, occasionally get "out of sync").

Here's a tip -- they say pop two Ex-Lax tablets and consternation will absolutely and wonderfully clear up right away. But I have to say I'm a tad surprised that you haven't heard of this remedy -- is your village in a remote area of the great Northwest?

Well anyway, try that -- they swear and declare they haven't been consterned since.

P.S. I've got sump'n for spider bites too, if that ever comes up.
                      My advice for your consternation is to enjoy some delectable fast food, say make a run for the border. Taco Bell seems to keep me regular or maybe for you east coast folks a slider or two.

Either way my southerly neighbor I don't think you have an issue as Bees has most poignantly stated.

Comment

Don't know about the little blue pills

But let me say there is something about sunshine on the face and wind in your hair. Not to mention my wife putting on a lot of leather.

Then there is what I call the V-Twin effect, a stimulating and resonating feeling from that vibration only a Harley has. Along with this is a certain suspense that seems to build as the ride unfolds before you.

And upon arrival at your final destination there is anticipation that has built up during the day and a release that relaxes entirely.

You all should try it sometime.

Comment

BB I saw the commercial

it had to be the pills since they were riding a Tokyo two wheeler.

Comment

I hope

Veritas,

I hope your "consternation" is better now!

Sandy

Comment

Consternation

Silly me, I just assumed that the consternation in OP was due to the same thoughts I would have had. The child's date of birth has been in client papers for how many years but client doesn't notice until the moment I tell him that this factor is about to hurt him the next year? I would almost be inclined to tell him I need the birth certificate.

There were more posts in this thread that I did not understand than in any other thread I have seen on this board.

Comment

Working...
                              X