Tell me if I am getting senile please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tell me if I am getting senile please

The Student Loan Interest Deduction, when it first came out, applied only to interest paid within five years after payments were first required. I remember this clearly because I was still paying on my student loans but I couldn't deduct the interest because of the elapsed time. Now I come looking for this provision in the current TTB and I can't find it so I guess things have changed. When did the change occur?

I don't know about you getting senile, but I would sure like to check the facts on your tagline. Are you sure that it is only one out of three that is not sane? :-)

LT
    Only in government or politics is a "cut in spending" really an increase. It's just not as much of an increase as they wanted it to be, therefore a "cut".

Comment

Originally posted by erchess View Post
      The Student Loan Interest Deduction, when it first came out, applied only to interest paid within five years after payments were first required. ... When did the change occur?
      I believe it was the Economic Growth and Tax Relief Reconciliation Act of 2001. Removed the 60 months for loan interest paid after 12/31/2001

Comment

Nice to see you back, NYEA

Where've you been?

Comment

Originally posted by New York Enrolled Agent View Post
          I believe it was the Economic Growth and Tax Relief Reconciliation Act of 2001. Removed the 60 months for loan interest paid after 12/31/2001

That law was also the beginning of the temporary tax laws. TTB, page 1-8 says the repeal of the 60-month limit for student loan interest expires after 2010.

Comment

Working...
          X