Mo' Money!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mo' Money!

While I was all lathered up about TT and sounding the DIY alarm (The TurboTaxers are coming! The TurboTaxers are coming!) over on Snag's AT&T thread, a tax preparation office (I use the term very loosely) named (and I kid you not) Mo' Money opened in a nearby town.

They're one of a new string of RAL-writer shops that I never heard of before. This type of place doesn't bother me (or you either probably), but the public is just so gullible that it's astounding -- no wonder they think TT is just great. The following incident wasn't really funny, but in another way it was hilarious.

One of their customers came by yesterday -- he wanted an IRS number to call and check on his rejected EF. As he told it, MM said "your SSN has been highlighted" (whatever that means) and they couldn't fix it.

He looked "smarter than a fifth-grader," but when I asked why he patronized them, he (driving the final nail in the coffin of professionalism) replied, "They give you a free T-shirt with your income tax."

Free stuff

Last year I saw a college-age snowboarder wearing a hat that looked like a green statue of liberty crown. I assumed one of two things - either 1 he had a part-time job standing out on the street waving at cars and just decided it would look cool on the slopes, or 2) they gave it to him when he had his return prepared.
    "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Yes, exactly

JohnH - exactly right about the part-time job.

This is the latest promotional scheme by the Liberty Tax Service chain. Now over 2500 offices nationwide, I've seen the statue of Liberty in mini-malls where Liberty Tax Service has an office. Saw a few skinny guys dressed up as Uncle Sam as well. On one occasion, saw a guy and girl both on the same corner with this garb.

Comment

Uncle Sam Dress Up

Yes, since we moved, and are now in a smaller area, as my husband was driving down US 70, he said he spotted Uncle Sam waving.

I said, oh that is probably the Liberty Tax Office or one of the other Tax Offices, that is down about 5 miles.

Thought, and I presented, How would you like to go dress up and stand out on the Hwy and "wave" them in for us? My husband promptly declined and saw no "humor" in my remark.

Sandy

Comment

The Liberty Tax office here is just right across from H&R Block. Actually they moved into the old H&R office. I found it odd they would move so close to a competitor. Poor folk they stand out there with the wind blowing and cold. Nearly blows off their hats

Comment

I don't think they get too cold

They only stand out there as long as it takes to get a few clients in the door.
            I assume they then come inside and prepare the returns, although I wonder if they actually do the tax preparation with the costume still on. Gotta maintain that air of professionalism, you know.
            "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Welcome to the Ol' North State!

Originally posted by S T View Post
              Yes, since we moved, and are now in a smaller area, as my husband was driving down US 70, he said he spotted Uncle Sam waving.

I said, oh that is probably the Liberty Tax Office or one of the other Tax Offices, that is down about 5 miles.

Thought, and I presented, How would you like to go dress up and stand out on the Hwy and "wave" them in for us? My husband promptly declined and saw no "humor" in my remark.

Sandy
              What drove you from the Communist Republic of California, and where are you at in NC?

Comment

Originally posted by Black Bart View Post

Mo' Money opened in a nearby town.

They're one of a new string of RAL-writer shops that I never heard of before.
                Along the lines of the multi-tasking shops that prep your taxes and do something else, like sell you a used car, I saw something in a neighboring town last week that took the concept to a new level: Body Piercing & Tax Prep w/instant cash!! Wish I could post a pic to show you guys; it was so funny. Maybe a sharp needle through your tongue makes the APR not hurt so much!

Comment

Originally posted by Black Bart View Post
                  While I was all lathered up about TT and sounding the DIY alarm (The TurboTaxers are coming! The TurboTaxers are coming!) over on Snag's AT&T thread, a tax preparation office (I use the term very loosely) named (and I kid you not) Mo' Money opened in a nearby town.

They're one of a new string of RAL-writer shops that I never heard of before. This type of place doesn't bother me (or you either probably), but the public is just so gullible that it's astounding -- no wonder they think TT is just great. The following incident wasn't really funny, but in another way it was hilarious.

One of their customers came by yesterday -- he wanted an IRS number to call and check on his rejected EF. As he told it, MM said "your SSN has been highlighted" (whatever that means) and they couldn't fix it.

He looked "smarter than a fifth-grader," but when I asked why he patronized them, he (driving the final nail in the coffin of professionalism) replied, "They give you a free T-shirt with your income tax."
                  The unscrupulous and avaricious in hot pursuit of the gredy and semibrainless. Hey, I said 'semi'!

Comment

Working...
                  X