p.s. to mblatour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

p.s. to mblatour

I have posted an anwer to your question under the post "doing clients by mail" and this is a further note for you.

As I have mentioned in the past, I have a disclaimer in my cover letter which I read to every client. Here it is for all to read:

"Your tax return was prepared based on the information you provided and I have relied solely on such information. While I have used my best judgement and understanding of the income tax laws in determining the appropriate tax treatment, it is understood that you remain responsible for your tax returns in the event of any adverse determination by the tax authorities. Since these are your returns, I urge you to carefully review each return and make certain that no material omissions or incorrect statements exist. Upon examination of the returns by taxing authorities, requests may be made for underlying data. I therefore recommend that you preserve all records that you may be called upon to produce in connection with such possible examinations.

If you have any questions about your tax returns, please contact me. I appreciate this opportunity to serve you."

As Black Bart and others have mentioned, we are not the IRS nor are we auditors and we have done our "due diligence" during the interview process. Just hang in there and see how things progress. Do what your best with those type clients and then go on to the next client. Good Luck!!
    Larry

Thanks Larry

I put a disclaimer in my 1st client letter starting this year. I began having my client's sign an engagement letter starting last year. At the end of the letter it says that the letter is good for all future tax years unless cancelled by myself of the client. I always hate getting that letter out and getting it signed. Some people look at you like you are going to cheat them somehow. I've gotten better about how to summarize it for them if they "choose" not to read it before signing, but I also give them a copy along with their return.

I feel a little better having done those two things now, but still I hate "fishy" clients. I like making the money though, so I guess it's a horse a piece!!

Comment

Working...
    X