Government contract payments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Government contract payments

Client has a single-owner LLC service business - developing software. Not much action last year, until October-November when he was awarded a government contract and received payments in advance. By now he is up and running with employees, rent payments etc, but had very few expenses in 2007. He's a cash basis taxpayer. How can he avoid a big tax bite in 2007 - should he convert to accrual basis or can he change the business' tax year or any other suggestions?

Accrual basis

Dear EllieB

If the SMLLC has elected to be taxed as a corporation, just adopt the accrual method of accounting ... if it hasn't yet filed a return electing the cash method of accounting. If the SMLLC is a disregarded entity, elect the accrual method of accounting on Schedule C for this business ... unless a Schedule C was filed for this business for 2006, and the cash method of accounting was indicated thereon.

See Code §451 and Regs §1.451-5.
    Roland Slugg
    "I do what I can."

Comment

Yes, filed in 2006

Yes, the LLC is a disregarded entity and he filed a schedulc C for it in 2006 using cash basis. As I said, very little activity until the contract came thru.

Comment

Working...
      X