Form 5695 and Insulation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Form 5695 and Insulation

Insulation - I am assuming that this is more than buying some R-19 and stuffing it into the house?

Client brought in receipts, but does it meet International Energy Conservation Code (IECC) that I'm reading about in the Form 5695 instructions? "You can rely on the manufacturer's certification" So, products that qualify have a certificate? (Windows I know only need a Energy Star sticker - I am wondering about things in IECC category like insulation.)

R-19 sounds very impressive, but is it good enough?
    JG

J&g

J G, I doubt it. Unless we are energy engineers, we wouldn't be able to answer the question, and neither would an IRS auditor for that matter. But the burden of proof would be placed on the taxpayer.

The reason I doubt it is because if these things qualify, they are added to the sales pitch of the product. The homeowner would be given a booklet with the qualifying agency's name plastered conspicuously on the propaganda. One of my clients is in the home insulation, heating, cooling business, and his manufacturers keep him very aware of which products qualify. They are, of course, silent on which products DON'T qualify.

Comment

Go to manufacturers website

They probably have the Certification there. The taxpayer is supposed to keep a copy of it along with the receipt. It's supposed to be signed.

You know I think those little tweekers who make these rules deserve a special place, and you know where.

here is an example but it takes awhile to download

Last edited by veritas; 01-24-2008, 12:47 AM.

Comment

Thanks very much to you both. That makes sense. It doesn't make cents though. OH WELL!
        JG

Comment

Working...
        X