Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

s corp Health Benefits

Seems like this was discussed prior,

can an S corp pay 100% of 2% shareholder health insurance premiums and only 50% of other employees health insurance premiums?

I realize that if S Corp pays 100% of 2% shareholder, it is added to wages, but not subject to FICA/Mcare, correct?

Thanks

Sandy

This one is stressing you

Yes the corporation can discriminate with health insurance premiums.

Yes you must include the premiums in 2% wages, not subject to FICA, FUTA, SUTA.

hope this helps

Comment

Yes I am stressing

Thanks Veritas,

Okay I am clear on the premiums paid by the S corp on behalf of the 2% shareholder. Just add to box 1 wages, not included in box 3 and 5.

Next question.

Question, portion of premiums paid by 2% shareholder through wages are they subject to FICA/MCare?

Sandy

Comment

That is boxes 3 and 5. So, No.
        JG

Comment

that helps with 2008

JG,

Thanks,

Can you take a look at this for 2007 wage reporting and see what you think

2% shareholder, 50% health care paid by 2% shareholder and 50% health care paid by S corp, the payroll shows that pre-tax deduction of 50% of the health benefits was taken , so reduced the Fica/Mcare deduction and gross wages.

Box 1 shows 76,140 (which is 76,140 wages less pre tax health of 8,947 + 8947 S corp Health 50%)

box 3 and 5 (soc sec wages/mcare wages) show 65,212 (76140 shareholder wage less 50% pre tax).

shouldn't gross wages box 1 - be 76,140 + 8947 from S corp (not reduce for 50% health care pre-tax) = 85,087

shouldnt box 3 and 5 (soc sec wages/mcare wages) = 76,140 not include S corp 50% paid

2% shareholder is not allowed to use pre-tax health care, correct. The health care coverage is in the name of the S corp Group provided to all employees.

S corp pays for 50% of health care benefit to 2% shareholder, so that is included in box 1 and not subject to fica/mcare, correct?

If the above is true, then the 941 payments are short the 2% shareholder's deduction for pre tax health care that the 2% shareholder is paying as it reduced shareholder wages.

Sandy
          I am thinking they are under reported on the FICA/Mcare for 2007 due to the erroneous pre-tax deduction.

Sandy

Comment

Sandy -

I agree with you. I have a situation as well where the shareholder pays 50% & the company pays 50%. (Although they have not tried to set it up as pre-tax for any employees.)

Comment

well

Well, Now that I have spent countless hours of researching this, I am changing their payroll to indicate the proper treatment ( I hope) , even trying to get the S Corp to pay 100% of the 2% which would be so much easier reporting wise.

What a mess I have trying to recalculate the quarters and underpayment for Fica/Mcare and preparing the proper W-2 forms. 2006 forms are incorrect, but I am not going to deal with those.

Thanks everyone for your responses and support!

We all need that from time to time!

Sandy

Comment

Finally on board.

The update in TTB says:
                A more than 2% shareholder-employee qualifies for the self-employed health insurance deduction if:
                1) The S corporation makes the premium payments for the accident and health insurance policy covering the 2% shareholder-employee (and his or her spouse or dependents, if applicable) in the current taxable year; or
                2) The 2% shareholder-employee makes the premium payments and furnishes proof of premium payment to the S corporation and then the S corporation reimburses the 2% shareholder-employee for the premium payments in the current taxable year.
                If the accident and health insurance premiums are not paid or reimbursed by the S corporation and included in the 2% shareholder-employee’s gross income on Form W-2, it does not qualify for the self-employed health insurance deduction.

So in my simple minded way it is like Sch C. And the whole net income has to be on Sch C (S-Corp in wages) in order to take the deduction on page 1.

I must admit the pre-tax thing threw me, but it doesn't seem to apply in this case. So, doesn't the whole wages plus all the health insurance go in box 1 and just the wages go in box 3 and 5. So box 1 94034 if the shareholder was reimbursed or 85087 if not Box 3 and 5 76140. I don't see a 65212 anywhere.
                JG

Comment

Working...
                X