new rules?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new rules?

Every time I do a clients tax this year and they have an EIC, I have to answer questions about their legal US residential status (according to my computer software). Are we as Tax Preparers responsible to determine if a person is here legally? I live in Southern Arizona so you can imagine what this is going to put me through.
    ken

These are not new rules. If the person has a legal SS #, then it can be assumed that they are entitled to work here legally. Either as a citizen or legal resident.

But, That doesn't mean they were actually present in the US for the six month time requirement. they may have worked in another country. Or just have been out of US for a period of time.

So, we must ask those questions to determine the EIC eligiblilty.
    You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Comment

Ken Maxwell

Good grief Ken! Is it really you?? From Sierra Vista?

You've stayed away too long. I owe you big time, because you are the one who sponsored me to join the TaxSlayer software group (anyone can get it, but thanks to your sponsorship I got a first year discount).

I didn't know at the time what a favor you did for me. Since then, three other software companies have been bought out by larger companies, and support has nosedived. According to this summer's NATP evaluation, TaxSlayer ranked the highest of all tax software in customer support.

This reads like a TaxSlayer commercial, but it is relevant because there has been a lot of recent discussion about this. And I can't help but wonder what happened to you and why you have stayed away. Welcome back!

Comment

Ken Maxwell

I join with Snag in welcoming you back Ken. You steered me to TS Pro several years ago and I have never regretted going with this company.
        How's the barber business? You are one preparer who can cut hair and cut taxes at the same time. A winning combination to say the least.

Comment

Egads!

Even though I don't know Ken, I am still tempted to exclaim:

"A barber who gives tax advice? "

(grin)
          ChEAr$,
          Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

When a client has this "tax thing" that he heard about, I sometimes ask the question, where did you hear about "that"? The Bar, The Barber, or your Brother? I have actually had a few people say "How did you know?"

Comment

Hi Snag and Chief

I realize its been a long time since I posted, but I have really been busy in the off season. I now have two daughters and their families that recently moved back to town and the little ones really like to keep Grandpa busy.
              Your welcome for the Taxslayer thing, I discoverd that program by accident and I have never been sorry I found it.
              No Chears, I'm not a Barber that does taxes and I'm not a Tax preparer that cuts hair. And I'm not a country western guitar player and singer that does taxes and cuts hair.( As a matter of fact I retired from the music part a few years ago). I'm just old Ken Maxwell who happens do do all the above at different times. But to get back to my question, If a person has a w-2 form you have to assume they are her legally, but I never knew it was my job to ask (everyone) if they are here legally.If I dont ask everyone, then it would be a little insulting for my clients if I start profiling them. Just curious what the law says.
              ken

Comment

Working...
              X