Wesley Snipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wesley Snipes

Snipe's is very wealthy, our legal system seems to treat the wealthy differently both in expedience and outcomes. My guess is Snipe's will lose the case, get a minimal jail sentence and community service. Frankly, I wish they'd give him the maximum allowable. What do other's think?

Throw the book at him

Failure to prosecute Snipes to the fullest extent will further erode what little confidence the public has in the income tax system. I have heard of comparisons of the Snipes case
    to Leona Helmsley. IMHO what Snipes did makes Helmsley's action comparable to her not putting enough postage on her tax return.

He filed sloppy hand written 1040X returns claiming no taxable income over the objections of his long time legal and tax counsel. He then failed to file for subsequent years.

I had two members of Snipes' group come to me for help filing their unfiled returns after being convicted of tax fraud. I declined the work but it was interesting peering into the minds of people clever enough to earn high 6 figure incomes annually but ignorant/arrogant enough to throw it all away on some tax resister arguments.

Above all make them pay the taxes they owe. The best way to punish a rich crook is to turn them into a poor crook. The suckers who paid $7.50 a head to see his movies deserve nothing less.
    Last edited by DaveO; 01-15-2008, 12:30 PM.
    In other words, a democratic government is the only one in which those who vote for a tax can escape the obligation to pay it.
    Alexis de Tocqueville

Comment

The Fish Rots From The Head

Wesley would most likely pay a little fine and get off almost scotch free. It is a sad situation. The rich gets richer and the poor continues to get slammed.
      Take Congress for example. They pass tax laws for the current year at the end of the year .This is a First world country. Check out one of those third world countries. Their tax laws are passed at the end of the year for the following year so that tax payers can make adequate preparation..
      IT IS A SHAME. Give "JACK HIS JACKET" . TREAT CONGRESS THE SAME WAY.

brian
      Everybody should pay his income tax with a smile. I tried it, but they wanted cash

Comment

The term is

Originally posted by Brian EA View Post
        Wesley would most likely pay a little fine and get off almost scotch free. It is a sad situation. The rich gets richer and the poor continues to get slammed.
        Take Congress for example. They pass tax laws for the current year at the end of the year .This is a First world country. Check out one of those third world countries. Their tax laws are passed at the end of the year for the following year so that tax payers can make adequate preparation..
        IT IS A SHAME. Give "JACK HIS JACKET" . TREAT CONGRESS THE SAME WAY.

brian
        "scot free" and not "scotch free". It's an English saying of course and in no way should be applied to our "country" ancestors, either Scotch or Scotch Irish, settlers in the Carolinas
        who subsequently spread westwards and southward.

Anyway, as to Snipes: there were also according to publication this morning the matter of payroll taxes not withheld or paid over. Hang him!
        ChEAr$,
        Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

[QUOTE=ChEAr$;48328]"scot free" and not "scotch free". It's an English saying of course and in no way should be applied to our "country" ancestors, either Scotch or Scotch Irish, settlers in the Carolinas

It's probably because I love Scotch whisky

Thanks harlan
          Everybody should pay his income tax with a smile. I tried it, but they wanted cash

Comment

I'm taking bets as to whether the trial will last 5 minutes or longer. All of the arguments have lost over and over again. I don't think they will let him off and the penalties on all that income will be huge. No more tax gap!

Comment

That makes two of us

[QUOTE=Brian EA;48330]
              Originally posted by ChEAr$ View Post
              "scot free" and not "scotch free". It's an English saying of course and in no way should be applied to our "country" ancestors, either Scotch or Scotch Irish, settlers in the Carolinas

It's probably because I love Scotch whisky

Thanks harlan
              Would ye be prefer' Dewars? Dalmore? Glenffidich or..... (shudder) Talisker?
              ChEAr$,
              Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Celebrity Trial

Wow... I haven't followed this... until now. I've looked at a couple of news articles on the web. One article says that even the attorney representing him at the trial has a history of involvement with frivolous tax protestor movements.

I may be very wrong, but here's my guess as to the outcome:

This doesn't sound like a tax court case where someone ends up arguing with the judges over the definition of "considered unmarried." In fact, it's not a tax court case at all. Snipes was charged with criminal offenses in a federal indictment. This is a jury trial, in federal district court. It's going to last at least a couple weeks.

I think the jury is likely to find him guilty. They are not going to buy into the frivolous arguments. The only way he could possibly win over a jury in this case is by conceding that he is wrong, that he owes tax and penalties, but that he himself sincerely bought into the bogus arguments, based on advice from incompetent tax pros, and that he therefore lacked the criminal intent that is required for a tax fraud conviction.

But even with that defense, a jury is likely to drill him a second a**hole. That jury is going to get pissed off at someone who makes a bazillion dollars year and thinks the rules don't apply to him. This is someone who never has to go to Walgreens and fill a prescription, because he's so wealthy he's got servants and aides that do that sort of thing for him. The trial is in Ocala, Florida, and that jury is gonna have some retirees that can't afford their prescriptions, are working part-time, and then end up paying tax on some of their social security benefits.

He may come to his senses and negotiate a plea bargain before the case goes to the jury, or even during jury deliberations. That's not at all unusual.

He must have been offered a plea that didn't involve any prison time, and turned it down...

Anyway, I think the jury will convict, and the judge will sentence him to prison. He may only do a couple years, and he may get Martha Stewart treatment, but I don't think the case would have gone this far if they didn't have some pretty persuasive evidence.

Burton M. Koss
                koss@usakoss.net
                Last edited by Koss; 01-15-2008, 06:14 PM.
                Burton M. Koss
                koss@usakoss.net

Comment

[QUOTE=ChEAr$;48343]

I prefer Johnny Walker black

Comment

Scotfree means tax free

[QUOTE=ChEAr$;48343]

Comment

Koss, he also ignored and then fired his former accountants that counseled him that this was a scam. One of his codefendants has been convicted of tax fraud, his lawyer was disbarred for frivolous tax schemes. All of the arguments used have been thrown out of tax court.

Comment

Martha Stewart - securities fraud - slap on the wrist.
                        OJ Simpson - First degree murder - free as a bird.
                        Robert Blake - First degree murder - free as a bird.
                        Al Capone - tax evasion - many years in prison.

I think tax evasion is a more severe crime than murder, or securities fraud, Snipes is in for some jail time.

Comment

A slap on the wrist - time behind bars? I don't think so.

But the conclusion to your statement is men can get away with murder, women are held to a higher standard, and to evade taxes is the ultimate crime.
                          JG

Comment

I wonder if there will be a U.S Marshals 2 http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120873/

Martha Stewart went to jail didn't she for a few months?

I was wondering when Snipes trial was coming up. I read about it a few months ago.

Comment

Originally posted by geekgirldany View Post
                              I wonder if there will be a U.S Marshals 2 http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120873/

Martha Stewart went to jail didn't she for a few months?

I was wondering when Snipes trial was coming up. I read about it a few months ago.
                              According to today's St Petersburg Times, the trial started Monday and is expected to last a month.

Comment

Working...
                              X