Filing From Final Pay Stub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Filing From Final Pay Stub

Is anyone filing returns from last pay stubs. I have had many calls asking if I do, so I am assuming some tax offices are filing that way. What if the w-2 is different? What if you never see the client again after filing from the stub???

No way.

I would prepare the tax return using a final pay stub, but will not e-file or release the tax return until the original W-2 is in my hand to verify the info before filing.

Comment

There was a previous post

on this type subject. See posts under "check stub".

Comment

Feb 15

You can't file with a pay stub until February 15, and then, only if you cannot get a W-2 from the employer. You have to explain the reason why there is no W-2.

Comment

Originally posted by gman View Post
          Is anyone filing returns from last pay stubs. I have had many calls asking if I do, so I am assuming some tax offices are filing that way. What if the w-2 is different? What if you never see the client again after filing from the stub???
          They are probably looking for the pay stub RALs that were offered last by some of the big banks. I understand none of the banks are offering it this year so these people are outta luck, but they'll call everybody in the phone book trying to find one.
          "A man that holds a cat by the tail learns something he can learn no other way." - Mark Twain

Comment

I made the mistake of doing just that one year. When the W2 came in had to amend it. Different on stub!
            SueBaby

Comment

stub

Where did you get this Feb 15th pay stub o.k. to file.

Thanks, I was wondering if this is legal?

Comment

Substitute w-2's w/paystub after 2/15 is ok

Comment

Where did you get this Feb 15th pay stub o.k. to file.

Thanks, I was wondering if this is legal?
                  I think that is the earliest date you can file a substitute W2. If the company is gone or for some reason you can't get a W2 you can use last pay stub to recreate one. You might also be able to get a the numbers from IRS if the W2 was ever reported.

I won't do it unless I'm sure client has exhausted all possibilities. Have had no problems with the ones I have done.

Form 4852 allows you to estimate W2 info.
                  Last edited by tacksman; 01-14-2008, 04:28 PM. Reason: add a form number

Comment

Pay Stub

I would like to know where it states that pay stubs are not allowed to be used. I am not using one, but have had several calls saying" are you the one filing from final pay stubs". Someone in my area is doing so and I would like to have documentation to show them that it is illegal.

Thanks

Comment

I would like to know where it states that pay stubs are not allowed to be used. I am not using one, but have had several calls saying" are you the one filing from final pay stubs". Someone in my area is doing so and I would like to have documentation to show them that it is illegal.

Thanks
                      Quote from irs.gov "When filing electronically taxpayers must provide Forms W-2, W-2G, and 1099-R to the Authorized IRS e-file Provider before the Provider sends the electronic return to the IRS. Providers are prohibited from submitting electronic returns to the IRS prior to receipt of all Forms W-2, W-2G, and 1099-R from the taxpayer. Taxpayers filing electronic returns using a personal computer enter the data from the forms into the electronic filing software themselves."

Comment

Note to tacksman,

You will find it unlikely that the IRS would have any information of the w-2 that early. Remember, the employer doesn't have to mail until 1/31, doesn't have to send to SSA until 2/28 (3/31 if they e-file with SSA) and then SSA has to input and balance ALL the w-2's. IRS has said in the past, it sometimes takes until October to finish getting all of the data from SSA. Create you 4852 on 2/15 and get on with it.

Comment

It can take 11 months for the IRS to get wage and income data. I would file from a paystub only if the W-2 was not and was not going to be available (ie employer is gone). The post sounded like someone just wanted to get ahead of the game. And last year, there were all of those paystub loans being promoted. No one was actually filing from the paystub. At least not anyone reputable.
                          Last edited by joanmcq; 01-14-2008, 11:21 PM. Reason: added comment

Comment

Return without W2 - how?

Originally posted by SueBaby View Post
                            I made the mistake of doing just that one year. When the W2 came in had to amend it. Different on stub!
                            I'm VERY curious - How did you actually file the tax return in the first place without a Form W2? I would assume not electronically, unless you are a real gambler! And I assume a paper return without an attached Form W2 would be returned.

FE

Comment

Originally posted by FEDUKE404 View Post
                              I'm VERY curious - How did you actually file the tax return in the first place without a Form W2? I would assume not electronically, unless you are a real gambler! And I assume a paper return without an attached Form W2 would be returned.

FE
                              It was years ago and he worked for the state and had 6 kids and in a wreck and needed the money. So I guess I felt sorry for him and done it anyway and yes it went through, but like I said I had to amend it later. Never again though. Learn from my mistakes---only take 1 time not to do something.
                              SueBaby

Comment

Working...
                              X