Online preparation of W2 & W3 for clients

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Online preparation of W2 & W3 for clients

A couple of clients have asked me to prepare their 2007 W2s and W3s for them. I have all of the pertinent information for their household employees (caregivers, etc) and will file Schedule H for each client. Federal/Soc Sec/FUTA taxes will be handled with Sch H, and clients have already paid state withholding and state unemployment.

The SSA has an online site (Business Services Online) where, apparently, I can set up MY OWN account using my name, my EIN, user ID, etc and then prepare the necessary W2s and W3s for each client using their information. The federal W2s and W3s are filed electronically, and the client (or myself) will mail the state W2s to the proper agency. Of course, the client and his/her "employees" will be provided paper copies of all federal and state W2s for preparing their own income taxes.

Does anyone have experience with this process ?, and if so am I correct in each of the above assumptions? I could always obtain blank W2s, fill them in manually, and mail them but the online filing of the W2s and W3s seems to be a good idea.

Note I don't do payroll, or anything like that, so it would be cost prohibitive for me to obtain software/forms just to print less than half a dozen W2s for clients. I'm mainly doing it as a courtesy to the several clients who have requested assistance.

Finally, how does the online filing separate the various "employers" so as to generate the correct W3s for each? Do you just prepare everything for employer "A", then repeat for "B", "C", and so on?

Thanks in advance!

FE

I stumbled across Business Services Online a few years ago and love it for those S corporations with 1-2 W-2s. My typing skills aren't the best and it was a real pain to haul out the typewriter and type W-2s and W-3s. (and start again when you made a typo near the end!)

You log in with your own login. It asks you if you're filing for someone else. You then type in the company name & information. Next you enter each W-2. You can save them, and review them later. You can also save as a .PDF when you're done. Then print out the client & employee copies, plus another one for the state and you're done.

You print out a receipt showing the W-2s & W-3 have been filed electronically. I have never filed for household employees.

Now I wish there was an easy site to do the one or two 1099-INT or 1099-DIV I need to do for my clients. (I prepare 1099-MISC through QB, but it doesn't handle the others, so out my typewriter comes.)

Comment

filetaxes.com does 1099 misc and int and div very easy program to use.

Comment

Working...
      X