Property built for sale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Property built for sale

A new client just walked in to prepare his 2006 returns. He owns a "Disregarded" LLC registered in 2006. In 2006 he built (...from scratch) and sold a house under the LLC. I know he would require a Sch C but do I need to use Sch E for this property or any other form?

Please, any reference to IRS publication (s) will be appreciated. He hasn't built any other house since then.

Your advice is well taken.

kay, EA

Is he a home builder?

Does he plan to do this again? If not I'd say it's a capital gain and report it on "D".
    In other words, a democratic government is the only one in which those who vote for a tax can escape the obligation to pay it.
    Alexis de Tocqueville

Comment

Originally posted by DaveO View Post
      Does he plan to do this again? If not I'd say it's a capital gain and report it on "D".
      Yes. He said he registered the LLC solely to develop and sell houses.

Comment

Dave O

Your answer is incorrect. It does not matter if he plans on building another house and for sale or not. This IS a business activity and NOT a capital gain activity. It is reported on Schedule C and the only other Schedule you will need is SE if there is net income.

Matt
        I would put a favorite quote in here, but it would get me banned from the board.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Sova View Post
          Your answer is incorrect. It does not matter if he plans on building another house and for sale or not. This IS a business activity and NOT a capital gain activity. It is reported on Schedule C and the only other Schedule you will need is SE if there is net income.

Matt
          Thanks. All I appreciate your advice.

Comment

Working...
          X