A/C unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A/C unit

Hi gang. I have really missed reading this board. I have to get back in the groove. We went on our cruise and TS Olga paid us a visit. Well, we didn't actually see her but she forced us to miss our first port of call and be late for the second one so that we only had about 2 hours of daylight at Tortola. But the rest of the cruise was very nice. Even on those days, we had the good company of our friends to keep us happy. I loved my balcony room!!! Then was sick all the next week. So I am trying to catch up.

I do have a question. I purchased an air conditioning unit for my office in April. It is a new model that doesn't use ductwork. The blower sits in the wall and the unit is outside. I don't think I am going to use the section 179 for this so how long do I depreciate it for? 39 years? I am guessing that is what I have to do but just wanted another opinion.
    If I had to sell my house, I might be tempted to take it with me.

I'll be back to read discussions later.

Thanks Linda

7-years

Dear oceanlovin'ea

A window mounted a/c unit is not an integral part of the building. It's equipment. Use 7-years.

Edit: I may have mis-read the question. My reply was based on a window mounted unit. A re-reading suggests it may be something much more substantial, and if so, may be considered a structural part of the building.
    Last edited by Roland Slugg; 01-05-2008, 04:13 PM. Reason: Mis-read the question
    Roland Slugg
    "I do what I can."

Comment

Roland

From the description, I do not believe it is a window unit. The poster needs to clarify how this ac works.

Comment

Physical Attachment

Originally posted by Kram BergGold View Post
        From the description, I do not believe it is a window unit. The poster needs to clarify how this ac works.
        I think one has to know if the outside unit is bolted to a footing in the groune and the electric cord is spliced, not plugged in, to the house's electrical system. That is, is this item permenatly attached to the house or not.

Comment

Hvac

Linda, I've been taking 7 years on a window unit and 10 years on a HVAC
          system such as a pump and ductwork.

Comment

Prior Discussion

While this link was more on residential rental property, you might find an answer
            Primary Forum for posting questions regarding tax issues. Message Board participants can then respond to your questions. You can also respond to questions posted by others. Please use the Contact Us link above for customer support questions.

Sandy

Comment

Not window unit

This is not a window unit that is plugged into outlet in wall. It has a compressor that sits outside the house. There are hoses that run from the unit to the blower. It is a unit designed for houses or buildings that do not have attic room to run ductwork. These units are fairly new but I have seen them advertised on TV lately. It works great. It is sooo quiet and cools my office down in minutes. The cost of the unit was $3200.

The reason I made the other comment about taking it with us is that there is a slight possibility that the city might put a road through our neighborhood and through my house. Since I just purchased this unit and the city would just be tearing down the house, I would definitely take this unit with me.

I like the idea of 10 year. That would be great.

Linda

Comment

Easement?

Originally posted by oceanlovin'ea View Post
                The reason I made the other comment about taking it with us is that there is a slight possibility that the city might put a road through our neighborhood and through my house. Since I just purchased this unit and the city would just be tearing down the house, I would definitely take this unit with me
                If they put a road through your building, wouldn't that increase traffic and be good for your business?

You could do tax returns at a drive-through window...

and add an ATM so they can draw on the RAL right away

LMAO

Want fries with your EIC?

Gotta lighten up a little... I think this is a going to be a long, stressful tax season...

As for the air conditioner...

You CAN take it with you

(just put it in an irrevocable trust before you die)

Burton M. Koss
                koss@usakoss.net
                Burton M. Koss
                koss@usakoss.net

Comment

Burton

Thanks for the suggestions. I hadn't thought of opening a drive-through office. I'll check with city codes on that one.

Life just gets more complicated. I thought by now I would have a little more "me" time, but I guess my "me" is just building my business.

Linda

Comment

Working...
                  X